Set Screw For Tool Holder

I just replaced all of mine with 5/8" length 5/16"-18 stainless 18-8 set screws. I got a pack of 25 on eBay for something like $8 with free shipping. I forget the name of the manufacturer, but they were purchased a while back by Dorman, and it's a U.S. company, though made in China like everything else. I had trouble finding any that were made in America for less than $1 each (including shipping).

I just replaced all of mine with 5/8" length 5/16"-18 stainless 18-8 set screws. I got a pack of 25 on eBay for something like $8 with free shipping. I forget the name of the manufacturer, but they were purchased a while back by Dorman, and it's a U.S. company, though made in China like everything else. I had trouble finding any that were made in America for less than $1 each (including shipping).
I would not use stainless set screws or fasteners in any application unless required, these will not last long at all with constant use. Stainless is a rather weak alloy of steel and lacks toughness above all, most SS alloys used for fasteners can not be made very hard. Use stainless if required by the FDA/customer, for appearance or if corrosion resistance is paramount otherwise do not use stainless fasteners at all.

When you have set screws or other fasteners that are tightened and loosened regularly, don't settle for anything less than the best:
http://www.holo-krome.com/index.html
Lots of suppliers have them, and they are noticeably better than other fasteners as soon as you look closely at one up close. A few uses and you will also be a believer. And they are not noticeably expensive.

I have some ChiCom AXA tool holders coming, which of these quoted screws are the correct ones.

You're kinda vague, but if you are talking about setscrews for the QCTP tool holders for the lathe, these are what I use in the imported AXA size:

Nonmarring Flat Point Socket Set Screw
Alloy Steel, M8 Size, 20mm Length, 1.25mm Pitch

http://www.mcmaster.com/mv1466081869/#93245a145/=130chp6

I’m with the folks above that said no stainless and make sure the set screw is nested below the top of the threaded hole. And I have gotten decent alloy steel set screws from Enco…Dave.

Thanks for the tip on Stainless, Most of the stuff I have gotten it for is Fancy, but a few time it is all I could find. THus I got it.

"Nonmarring Flat Point Socket Set Screw
Alloy Steel, M8 Size, 20mm Length, 1.25mm Pitch"

"I just replaced all of mine with 5/8" length 5/16"-18 stainless 18-8 set screws."

I am curious as which of these tool holders use M8 x 1.25 and which ones use 5/16 x 18

I'll cast my lot with the gentleman from Sacramento, Mr. Korves. Holo-chrome is top-notch and only pennies more than cheap hardware. Run-of-the-mill cap screws are OK in a pinch, but we put money into our tools for good reason.

If I'm not mistaken, H-K and Unbrako merged and are still about the best there is. Unbrako was already probably the number one competitor for H-K, so they just bought them out. I spent a little time in the wholesale/industrial fastener market, and have seen many, many tests first hand and H-K has always come out on top. Best import used to be Brighton-Best, but can't say for sure. It's been a few years and like a few things, imports have improved in order to keep market share.

Back