[Metrology] Setting Gauge Rings

roverguy

Registered
Registered
Hi

I am looking for a setting gauge ring, about 1" . The size isn't important , I want to practice using my Starrett telescoping bore gauge set . I always seem to mess up the size of bores ! Mike

Good idea on the ring gauge, and on the bearing race as well. The tension set with the tightening screw makes a big difference in the quality of your readings, it should not be too tight, just enough to hold the setting while you gently use the mic. It also helps to rock the gage a bit so it centers in the bore before tightening it. Also test your snap gages at a light setting with your fingers for a smooth and even sliding stroke. Some gages have been damaged by over tightening the lock screw and galling the cylinders, and others by corrosion and contamination. Working the gage with your fingers over and over while set very light can help to make them smooth if not too damaged, polishing them in. Lightly oiling them helps, too. It does take some practice to get good and repeatable results, and I am still learning.

You could also use a micrometer set to a certain distance to practice on. Use one micrometer as a test object and another to measure off of.

Back