[4]

Setting lathe compound angle with mill traming tool

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
U

umahunter

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!

chips&more

Active User
Registered
I do not own one of those double indicator thing-a-ma-bobs and never will. Like many of the new machinist’s toys and gadgets that the industry has selling to the trade. IMHO few are worthy of “I need that in my shop”. Our ancestors made beautiful timepieces/works of art with basic hand tools. I have a little more than hand tools LOL but still have that motto to keep it simple! If you read the 12 comments on that You Tube it is a mixed bag of feelings. I would also mix it up…Dave

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
My question is: When/why do you need the tool to be exactly 90º to the axis of the lathe? Generally eyeball is good enough.

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Are you measuring the compound angle?

higgite

General Manger - Proofreading Dept.
My question is: When/why do you need the tool to be exactly 90º to the axis of the lathe? Generally eyeball is good enough.
Particularly important when parting off.
He isn't using it to set the tool to 90 degrees, though it would work for that. He is setting it to an MT2 taper. Not easy to do by eyeballing it. ;) There are other ways to do it, of course, but his method seems to work for him.

Tom

T Bredehoft

Active User
...When/why do you need the tool to be exactly 90º to the axis of the lathe?...
Particularly important when parting off.
I ALWAYS do cut-off work with the cross feed, not the compound, but if it works for you....

ezduzit

Active User
Registered
...When/why do you need the tool to be exactly 90º to the axis of the lathe?...

I ALWAYS do cut-off work with the cross feed, not the compound, but if it works for you....
You still must align it so your parting tool is at precisely 90*

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
If I need the tool bit at 90° to the centerline, I just bring the tool holder up against the chuck face to align it. The compound angle doesn't matter for most operations, I normally keep mine at about 45° just to keep the handle out of the way of the crossfeed handle.

[6]
[5] [7]