Setting lathe compound angle with mill traming tool

I do not own one of those double indicator thing-a-ma-bobs and never will. Like many of the new machinist’s toys and gadgets that the industry has selling to the trade. IMHO few are worthy of “I need that in my shop”. Our ancestors made beautiful timepieces/works of art with basic hand tools. I have a little more than hand tools LOL but still have that motto to keep it simple! If you read the 12 comments on that You Tube it is a mixed bag of feelings. I would also mix it up…Dave

My question is: When/why do you need the tool to be exactly 90º to the axis of the lathe? Generally eyeball is good enough.
Particularly important when parting off.

He isn't using it to set the tool to 90 degrees, though it would work for that. He is setting it to an MT2 taper. Not easy to do by eyeballing it. ;) There are other ways to do it, of course, but his method seems to work for him.

Tom

...When/why do you need the tool to be exactly 90º to the axis of the lathe?...
Particularly important when parting off.

I ALWAYS do cut-off work with the cross feed, not the compound, but if it works for you....

...When/why do you need the tool to be exactly 90º to the axis of the lathe?...

I ALWAYS do cut-off work with the cross feed, not the compound, but if it works for you....

You still must align it so your parting tool is at precisely 90*

Back