Setting Up Parting Blade

rain164845

Registered
Registered
Hi, I have an axa parting tool holder. Is there a good way to set up the parting blade do that it does not cant to the left when the blade is installed in the holder?
Thanks!

Are you talking about the AXA-7? If so, the problem with this tool holder is that there is no clearance slot for the wider cutting part of the blade. Well, that and the fact that you have to reset the tool height to center every time you move the blade. You can machine a clearance slot for the top of the tool into the tool holder so that the body of the blade can register against the body of the tool holder or shim the body of the blade or just try to align the blade so the wedge on top gets it as square as possible. Of all the Aloris tool designs, this one has to be one of the worst and I think it causes more parting issues than we suspect. A much better tool is the Aloris #71.

Reactions: 18w
Yes, the axa 7. Also, does anyone happen to know of a carbide cutoff blade that fits this holder?
Thanks for the response. I will try shimming first

I have applied Mikey's solution. One still has to be careful when pulling the wedge in, even with a clearance groove cut, there is a tendency for it to walk out a bit at the top (cant over). I have used this one very little, as I've also got a carbide insert one that works great.

DSCF4512.JPG DSCF4513.JPG

what carbide insert are you using that fits the axa? Thanks!
Hi Rain, The threads are getting mixed. The OP is talking about an AXA. I am using a CXA (sometimes referred to as a 300 series) - I found the issue of the T-shaped blade to be similar to what the OP shared (basically a picture of what you had described further up). As far as carbide, I just bought one of the 3B kits out of the Enco catalog. What if you got one of the 2A/B kits and trimmedBest regards.

Back