Setting up shop

andgott

Registered
Registered
While I'm waiting for my new machines to arrive, It's time to get homes ready for them. I am going to put them in my shop, which is a 24 x 48' building... It's kind of a multipurpose area where I do all of my current metalworking and restoration projects. This is the area that is going to be re-appropriated as the machine shop-
041218Start.jpg
Excuse the mess... I'm going to move all that 'stuff' elsewhere... I chose this area because it'll be out of the way, but is right next to the electrical panel so I have easy access to power.

I'm going to add several 110v 20a outlets to the wall, as well as the 220v that my mill will require. Also on the list is additional lighting- I have 12' ceilings in the shop, so I'm going to drop a couple of fixtures down closer to the floor for better lighting.

First off- A new bench for the lathe... I had a cabinet with drawers that I integrated into one side. The other side has Klein small parts storage boxes, mounted on full extension drawer slides so they'll be easy to get in to and to remove-

041218Bench.jpg
The top is 1/4" aluminum plate. I didn't drill it for the lathe yet- It'll have a Precision Mathews 1130 mounted on it. All the feet have levellers on them so I'll be able to get it nice and level.

My lathe is supposed to ship next week- The mill is 6-7 weeks out. In the mean time, the UPS man has been bringing all sorts of toys, I mean TOOLS, to use... I can see where this could be an expensive hobby for someone like me that loves toys like this-

041218Tools.jpg
Some boring bars, holders, gauges, and a 3" Toolmakers vise.

041218Vise.jpg
a 5" vise for the mill. Won't need it for a while, But I found a great price on it so couldn't pass it up.

And, My favorite so far. Something I certainly don't NEED to get started, But I wanted it- It was just too cool- a 10" dividing head w/tailstock, and 5" three jaw chuck-
041218Index.jpg
Again, I found a killer deal on it so had to do it.

Hopefully I'll get the electrical work done tomorrow... I'm like a little kid right before christmas, the wait is killing me :)

Sounds like you have a some nice space. I'm sure it will make a great shop for you.

Nice haul of tools. Have fun. Cheers, Mike

Looks like you got a good start and a good plan. :encourage:

Back