Setup and Continuing Saga of the Charter Oak 12Z

Bill,

Are you going to install way covers on the Y? Also, is a power feed available on a machine for the Z where the head travels in lieu of a knee?

I will trim the Y cover behind the table (too much material that binds/pinches between the table and column) and want to make way wipers, probably out of aluminum or brass, for the front as I hate those accordion covers there because they are always in my way and never seem to keep the ways clear of chips. :)

In talking to Paul at CO, and there is a manual (non-CNC) "elevator" he called it, motor and mount for the Z axis. I will investigate further, but surprisingly, the Z-axis cranks easier on this mill than my PM25 does. It really isn't bad at all. (pic of Bill with a surprised look on his face)

I need Santa to show up early this year: I need a DRO, power feed for the X axis (and possibly the Z), the two-speed belt conversion, the one-shot oiling system, and Heaven only knows what else I'll think up. Maybe I can talk CO into a line of credit... :rofl:

Last edited:
Now those are my kind of pics, gut shots thanks Bill!

Welcome. :)

It is interesting to note the amount of webbing I've seen on the underside of the table, carriage, and base. And pleasantly surprising.

And I think CO needs change their estimate of how much this puppy weighs:

Shipping weight was 1100lbs. Take away a generous 100lbs for crate and skid and that leaves 1000lbs. The stand isn't THAT heavy as I can pick it up with two hands and put it over my head (don't ask). There's just no way this thing weighs 'only' 770lbs.

My t slots seem to mostly have silver, brown and blue metal chips in them, like someone cleans only what they can reach with a shop vac.

Unless I really get going on the cnc conversion soon I will be addressing the "screws" that "hold" the handwheels on. I think the left side X wheel has fallen off 3 times now (I usually crank from the right side).
I was planning on a one shot oiler system too, but it really isn't that big a deal to shove the oil gun into the "gits" oilers once in awhile. Other than the two on the table are too small, but that is an easy enough fix.

I have three chromed CI handwheels that are slightly larger than the plastic ones that came with the machine. Soon as I figure out what angles to machine for the couplings, I'll be doing that.

I finished cleaning and re-adjusting the table, saddle, and gibbs. I've never had a mill where each end of the table will crank completely up to the saddle with no more effort than that required to move it in the middle of it's travel. My pm gets tighter/harder towards each end of the table's travel. About 25" of travel near as I can see. Now I really want that X-axis power feed...

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

Bill what are you going to use to keep the table and machined surfaces protected from rust? I may give everything a coat of Boeshield since I have some on hand, especially under the vise. Eventually the flood coolant will protect everything. http://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-Cor...UTF8&qid=1413160005&sr=8-1&keywords=boeshield

Thanks, I saved that to my Amazon wish list just in case.

Here at 5000' we have a slightly drier climate that I suspect you do over there in the ever-wet NW. :rofl:

I've not had rust issues on any of my machines or tools.

6 speed geared head w/VFD, so basically 0-3600 rpm.

Yea I neglected the h/l. Nice. 3600 aint to shabby. Get over 1500 and you can hear how fast things can go bad ahahaha

Back