Setup and Continuing Saga of the Charter Oak 12Z

More thoughts:

I definitely have to put a power feed on this thing. I put a DI on the head and checked the flatness and orthogonality of the table (didn't need to, but I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't) and cranking this thing back and forth just over 26" is very tiring. FYI the usable Y-axis travel is over 13".

And I put a DI on the head and was playing with positional accuracy and repeatability of the Z-axis using the hand crank. About the same as my PM25 actually, so I will put the Z-axis scale on the head/column, not the quill like the factory does. The quill mechanism is sloppy and a friction interface to boot. I will cobble up a digital scale for the quill for the rare occasion when I have to plunge cut a pocket. Now I just have to save up for the power feed and a 3-axis DRO. And everything else I want. This site is costing me a lot of money... ;)

More thoughts:

I definitely have to put a power feed on this thing. I put a DI on the head and checked the flatness and orthogonality of the table (didn't need to, but I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't) and cranking this thing back and forth just over 26" is very tiring. FYI the usable Y-axis travel is over 13".

And I put a DI on the head and was playing with positional accuracy and repeatability of the Z-axis using the hand crank. About the same as my PM25 actually, so I will put the Z-axis scale on the head/column, not the quill like the factory does. The quill mechanism is sloppy and a friction interface to boot. I will cobble up a digital scale for the quill for the rare occasion when I have to plunge cut a pocket. Now I just have to save up for the power feed and a 3-axis DRO. And everything else I want. This site is costing me a lot of money... ;)

Don't forget a power feed for the head. Then mabe a CNC conversion. Then time for a bigger mill.:lmao:

Don't forget a power feed for the head. Then mabe a CNC conversion. Then time for a bigger mill.:lmao:

See?? You guys are SO helpful. :)

Kidding aside, Paul at CO did mention that he has a "elevator" kit for the Z-axis, i.e. a manual power feed. The only way I will do that is if I can use it for rapids but still use the hand crank for accurate positioning like a X-axis power feed. I'm not interested in dumbing down the Z-axis just to save on my forearms and shoulders.

I'll forward the suggestions of the CNC kit and bigger mill on to the wife. I'm sure she'll appreciate them. :cpa:

CAD/CAM software, a rotary table, belt drive, the wallet melting has only just begun. Whirrr-ah, Whirr-ah that's the sound of a power feed on Z.

Almost forgot: I have to get a 3-axis DRO too. I'm too spoiled to count dial turns and worry about backlash anymore. DRO-Pros 3M, that way I have the same functions/usage on both mills. The brain-housing-group ain't gettin' any younger... :headscratch:

Almost forgot: I have to get a 3-axis DRO too. I'm too spoiled to count dial turns and worry about backlash anymore. DRO-Pros 3M, that way I have the same functions/usage on both mills. The brain-housing-group ain't gettin' any younger... :headscratch:

Instigator hat on...no need for a DRO just convert it to CNC.

Instigator hat on...no need for a DRO just convert it to CNC.

You're a lot of help... ;)

I understand some peoples fascination w/CNC and the requirement for it in a production shop. But I do mostly one off stuff. Sometimes I don't even know how far I'm going to translate along an axis until I get there. Until they make a CNC with a super AI I'll just have to drive this thing myself. :)

A couple of better pics for those interested. Well, they're better than the others.

DSCN4212.JPG

DSCN4213.JPG

DSCN4212.JPG DSCN4213.JPG

Last edited:
You're a lot of help... ;)

I understand some peoples fascination w/CNC and the requirement for it in a production shop. But I do mostly one off stuff. Sometimes I don't even know how far I'm going to translate along an axis until I get there. Until they make a CNC with a super AI I'll just have to drive this thing myself. :)

You are looking for the AI in the wrong place, you will find it in your CAD software. CNC will enable your mind to go places no manual mill can ever go design wise. For example the next thing you know you will build one of these once your mill can do CNC and you unleash all those bottled up ideas!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok dude, I'll bite. Just what exactly am I looking at? :)

Back