Setup and Continuing Saga of the Charter Oak 12Z

Once you get a powered Z changing r8 endmill holders and er collet chucks won't be a big deal either. Other than reaching the drawbar. Make those tool drawers heavy duty then they can double as steps.

Good to hear on the slots, I never measured either the slot or the 5/8 t nut, maybe I just picked up a +tolerance t nut?

Some people are going to start to think you are never going to actually use this thing though, 3 threads with 130+ posts combined and still not one chip showing? ;)

The ultimate beer can crusher? Or he's making diamonds? :rofl:

I'm curious too.....

ahahahahahahahahaha.

She's pretty. I'm not gonna lie, I got a cnc bug from hell right now. Small bed mills seem to do well cnc'd

Once you get a powered Z changing r8 endmill holders and er collet chucks won't be a big deal either. Other than reaching the drawbar. Make those tool drawers heavy duty then they can double as steps.

Good to hear on the slots, I never measured either the slot or the 5/8 t nut, maybe I just picked up a +tolerance t nut?

Some people are going to start to think you are never going to actually use this thing though, 3 threads with 130+ posts combined and still not one chip showing? ;)

Ok, enough of this...

IMG_0448.jpg

CHIPS!!! (well actually, more like nasty little slivers). Happy? ;)

It was just a few passes, but I made a small pile just because I knew when I came back in the house someone would be ragging on me about not making chips yet. NOTE: I need to make some way wipers for this thing because something (before I cut, not during or after) got under the saddle on the right Y way and gouged the way. Had to loosen the gibb and work it back and forth to get whatever it was out. Came out as powder... Not good.

The clamping kit showed up today and the 5/8" t-nuts fit perfectly. Oh, and just for you Jon.

IMG_0450.jpg

I've never tried a selfie, and it's really bad but dude, I'm 6'3" and there is still 3" of vertical travel left and I can't reach the motor. I've got more Z-axis envelope than I'll ever need. Probably. :))

IMG_0448.jpg IMG_0450.jpg

Ah scew 'em Bill, who cares what they say. People rag on me for keeping my machines much cleaner than they do as they see in specific pics I post. So what if I like to keep my investments clean & not have a messy garage. Make chips when you're good & ready just as I don't have to show a filthy machine to prove that I do use them often.

Nice photos keep em' coming, chips not required. ;)

Wow man thats pretty impressive. You will find that a real joy to run if you like the pm25. Just on size alone. Awesome man

Pretty sure that is a home made vacuum former and a very nice job too. I just can't figure out what the pressure pot on the right is for.

Correct that is a vacuum powered thermoforming machine. She was a beast, dual 6cfm pumps and dual reserve tanks, the thick ABS I was molding you had to SLAM the mold with vacuum and draw it down in like 1.5 seconds. As for the pressure pot, if you want to remove the bubbles from well anything, epoxy, urethane, etc. place in a pressure pot and hit it with a vacuum pump and presto bubbles be gone. I was doing some liquid silicone (yeah liquid silicone cool stuff) molding at the time.

Bill congrats on making chips! Too bad about the Y way, any chance it came off the vice or something else? Bah it will make a nice oil reservoir happy milling!

Back