[4]

Sewing machine accessories needed

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

4lizards

Registered
accessories for a popular, but old, sewing machine are no longer made. I have a set of five 'stitch fingers ' that I would like copies of for those of us that no longer have the set. They are stamped metal with some bending. These are used to embellish clothing. I am expecting to pay for your time! The pictures are at the bottom of this thread.
I'm eager to hear from you! Diana Andersen. Dlandersen3@frontiernet.net

Last edited:

David S

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Welcome Diana. Can you post some pictures so we can better advise.

David

Dave Paine

Registered
Registered
+1 with David S. I have no idea what a stitch finger is, or looks like.

A quick internet search leads me to believe they are different for each sewing machine manufacturer.

Pictures and dimensions would be useful so others could determine if they can help.

dlane

Active User
What machine

4lizards

Registered
+1 with David S. I have no idea what a stitch finger is, or looks like.

A quick internet search leads me to believe they are different for each sewing machine manufacturer.

Pictures and dimensions would be useful so others could determine if they can help.
These are flat pieces of steel. They are triangles 3.5 inches long and 5/8 inches wide at the top of the triangle. Each tip of the triangle is bent and/or soldered to hold a piece of lace, cord, fabric material to sew down on clothing for decoration. (I'm not good on sending pictures on my iPad !) go to you tube under omnistitch and you can see some examples of these made in 1980 to 1993.

francist

Active User
Are these them, aka "feed fingers"?

-frank

image.png

whitmore

Registered
The 'stitch finger' is, I trust, what is sometimes called a 'presser foot'? If so, it's a fairly complex part,
with a fitting to mate with a manufacturer's plunger end (often thumbscrew clamped). After making
it from (apparently) steel, there's a long tumbling (all surfaces to be smooth), and nickel-plating, possibly
rather heavy plating.

One example here is obviously a stamping from sheet metal, to which a hinge has been brazed; another
might be a coining, sculpted on the upper face. The feet are pressed into curved shapes.
There are joints, and one has an adjustable lateral offset (multiple parts with a thumbscrew)..

In a hobby setting, yes, these could be hand-carved. For small batches, it might be possible to
use a drafting program to make a 3-d model that could be carved in wax, and lost-wax cast, with some
hand finishing, in CuNi alloy. The only easy way to get replicas would be to make 'em in a 3d printer, with
(probably not very strong) plastics.

Sheet metal fabrication in mass production works, but would be uneconomic in one-offs.

It's a do-abe project, but not easy (many steps, many different tools required). The small scale
is similar to jewelry work, but it's in STEEL, not as easy to work with as copper or silver. And,
unless there's a model handy to work from, it's a BIG project to describe the shapes and dimensions
in order to specify a replica.

Have you looked at (for instance) Sears/Kenmore parts department? Maybe adapting an available
foot for another machine would be feasible.

4lizards

Registered
The 'stitch finger' is, I trust, what is sometimes called a 'presser foot'? If so, it's a fairly complex part,
with a fitting to mate with a manufacturer's plunger end (often thumbscrew clamped). After making
it from (apparently) steel, there's a long tumbling (all surfaces to be smooth), and nickel-plating, possibly
rather heavy plating.

One example here is obviously a stamping from sheet metal, to which a hinge has been brazed; another
might be a coining, sculpted on the upper face. The feet are pressed into curved shapes.
There are joints, and one has an adjustable lateral offset (multiple parts with a thumbscrew)..

In a hobby setting, yes, these could be hand-carved. For small batches, it might be possible to
use a drafting program to make a 3-d model that could be carved in wax, and lost-wax cast, with some
hand finishing, in CuNi alloy. The only easy way to get replicas would be to make 'em in a 3d printer, with
(probably not very strong) plastics.

Sheet metal fabrication in mass production works, but would be uneconomic in one-offs.

It's a do-abe project, but not easy (many steps, many different tools required). The small scale
is similar to jewelry work, but it's in STEEL, not as easy to work with as copper or silver. And,
unless there's a model handy to work from, it's a BIG project to describe the shapes and dimensions
in order to specify a replica.

Have you looked at (for instance) Sears/Kenmore parts department? Maybe adapting an available
foot for another machine would be feasible.
Yes, you are right! They are not available any more and many people need them. We loose, nick, bend them.
not a pressure foot, but a feed finger as frank has posted. I need to apologize for my lack of understanding of how this thread works. I hope to figure it out soon!

Last edited:

whitmore

Registered
not a pressure foot, but a feed finger as frank has posted.
Those look easier; there's possibilities to laser-cut the shape from sheet metal, and hand-polish (maybe
just a Dremel tool and a selection of emery and rouge compounds) into usefulness. The eye is
the critical bit, and it looks kinda... tiny.

emachineshop.com is one outfit that might be worth looking into

<https://www.emachineshop.com/machine-shop/Laser-Cutting-Service/page77.html>

It still takes some work to get all the dimensions into the CAD environment; if you know someone with
a measuring microscope, that's a good place to start. The patent (US #4640206) didn't have
much relevant info that I could see.

4lizards

Registered
These are for the omnistitch machine which has not been available since 1993. I would like someone to make me copies of these feed fingers. I have a set of five different ones that I would like 30sets made. I will pay for your time!
Thank you.
Frank has found them online and posted a picture of them.

David S

Active User
The picture Frank sent is not good enough for me to duplicate them. The only way I think anyone would have a chance is if you supplied a sample to copy, unless you have a production drawing.

David

francist

Active User
David is correct, there's not much hope anyone could realistically work from that simple illustration. I'm not even 100% sure on the operation with only that picture to go by. Sample part, or at least a series of more detailed photos/dimensions would be needed.

I think the parts would need to be pretty consistent and fairly accurate, but in terms of complexity I'm not sure it's there. 150 pieces though is a factor. Processing by hand would be laborious so it's almost looking for someone with small-scale punching capabilities. I do not.

Other than the three holes, there are two little bent tabs or "wings" at the very bottom tip? Is their purpose to corral the needle direction after it strikes the finger?

-frank

David S

Active User
Also to add to Frank's comments. It would be good to know what you think these things will sell for.

I often do small production jobs for a friend, but I have to have some expectation of the price including material cost.

David

4lizards

Registered
The picture Frank sent is not good enough for me to duplicate them. The only way I think anyone would have a chance is if you supplied a sample to copy, unless you have a production drawing.

David
I do expect to supply the sample pieces I have. I can mail them to you with enough postage to return them if you can't use them. As to price, if they cost about $20.00 each piece I can supply them to my friends at that cost. I don't expect any profit for myself. This is a whole new field for me! I design clothing, quilt, and embroider . If I could help my contemporaries with these missing pieces for their machines that would be great!

Last edited:

4lizards

Registered
To add to Frank's question, the tips of each piece are different shapes. This is to feed the embellishment materials under the needle to be sewn down on the main garmen. If it would be helpful I can also supply sample fabric with the embellishment sewn down so you can see what these fingers do.

Diana

RandyWilson

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
My wife has every sewing machine known to man, two of most of them. She'd never seen this.

4lizards

Registered
They were sold in the 80s to 1993. Were popular at the time . Sold across the seas also. Come up on eBay once in a while, bot the fingers are no longer available! That is why I would like to be able to get a few for friends.

T Bredehoft

Active User
Seems to me, this is a great group project. Someone who's good with drafting could make a couple of DWGs of the pieces. One of us accomplished at die sinking could make a die to punch out the basic piece. Someone else with a good press could punch out several hindered of them, others could do the fine mill work, or whatever on the ends, one of our shooters could limber up a tumbler and polish the burrs off. Just look a what Mikey accomplished, by himself.

I'm no professional draftsman, but I could make drawings of the original pieces that others could use to do their part. Yeah, I'm volunteering my copy of DraftSight.

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
My wife has every sewing machine known to man, two of most of them. She'd never seen this.
.....and now that you showed her she needs two of these! ;)
-brino

4lizards

Registered
Best way is to watch eBay . Be sure that it has the fingers! If not, maybe I will have a set!

Diana

4lizards

Registered
.....and now that you showed her she needs two of these! ;)
-brino
accessories for a popular, but old, sewing machine are no longer made. I have a set of five 'stitch fingers ' that I would like copies of for those of us that no longer have the set. They are stamped metal with some bending. These are used to embellish clothing. I am expecting to pay for your time!
I'm eager to hear from you! Diana Andersen. Dlandersen3@frontiernet.net

Attachments

4lizards

Registered
I have managed to post pictures, thanks to Jim Dawson! I have a big curve to climb! Let me know if you get them everyone.

Diana

4lizards

Registered
I hope you can find them. They ended up at the end of the thread!

Diana

4lizards

Registered
image.jpeg
J k

Last edited:

4lizards

Registered
Would anyone like to take this project on for me? I will pay for materials and labor. Can you give me an estimate for cost? I have no idea on the time required or costs! Can you suggest where I can get this done if no one here wants to do it? I have one suggestion of emachineshop.com.

Thank you all for your kindness to an inexperienced lady.

Diana

francist

Active User
Diana -- in many ways this would be an ideal project for me. Right size for my machines, fair amount of hand work, etc. But I still work full-time and am also tying up the last ends of my Dad's estate after two years. I wish I could help you, but I can't commit to this. Especially for 150 pcs. Hope you find somebody though, there's lots of talented people out there.

-frank

4lizards

Registered
Diana -- in many ways this would be an ideal project for me. Right size for my machines, fair amount of hand work, etc. But I still work full-time and am also tying up the last ends of my Dad's estate after two years. I wish I could help you, but I can't commit to this. Especially for 150 pcs. Hope you find somebody though, there's lots of talented people out there.

-frank
Frank, would you be able to make me two copies each of the two fingers on the left? They are my only samples of that style of finger. I'm reluctant to send them off to a commercial place with the chance that I might not get them back. I guess that I will be needing to try emachine shop next as no one has offered for the whole project. Any cost for labor and materials is ok. I'm not in any big hurry.

I'm sorry that you are missing your Dad. My mom passed from Alzheimer's in March. It is hard.

Diana

francist

Active User
I admire your tenacity, Diana, or is that stubborness? ;) Regardless, my father would approve!

I will send you an email, perhaps we can work something out. Do keep your feelers out for others though, perhaps a better fit will happen along in the meantime.

-frank

[6]
[5] [7]