SFPM and feed rate

When I'm roughing I cut as much as I can and as fast as I can. Once I was making a crankshaft from solid for a cement plant. I as removing about 200 pounds per hour in chips

hell, if I tried to even stick my foot in that pool, my 1 hp lathe would move out & get a restraining order! But yeah, I don’t think us noobs understand the heat mitigation of good chips....

Well I had a bit of HP advantage on you, that Mazak has a 30 HP motor. Once running some 4140 shafting and using ceramic insert I was taking a finish cut with some pretty aggressive SFM. The chip was coming off about 90 degrees from the work and shooting straight out about 3 feet before it started to curl. The first 18 inches was red

Yeah BYOVIN, I’ve read up a lot on those ceramic inserts...amazing what they do. Hp & rpm will never allow me to use them unfortunately.

I had some of those ceramic tipped carbide inserts. They didn't make the finish any better than the carbide

Everything I’ve read, they require rpm faster than most home machines can supply. If you get a chance to go to YouTube and watch them in action...mesmerizing!

They really shine on hard material and high SF. All of our rig shafts were ground prior to buying the Mazak after that we could machine the shafts in house with the combination of a massive lathe and ceramic inserts.

Man! I saw a lot of their equipment at FabTech...monsters! If you ever give yours of your place...drop me a line.

Back