SG or no SG?

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have the opportunity to plan and build a new shop.
No, the budget is not unlimited. Therefore, I need to be selective in what I choose to do.
I have two summers to get it done. This summer is the build. Next summer is the move.
As I'm sketching out the new shop I'm wondering if I should consider inclusion of a SG?

Yes, I know ya can't have enough tools. But, I'm gonna need a serious list of reasons to justify the dedicated space and initial acquisition.
Thus far any SG I've needed to do has fit on the Pratt Whitney Tool Cutter Grinder, or I made it happen with a file, lapping plate, and a sore shoulder.
The kind of work I have been learning and anticipate doing is primarily machine rebuilds and one-off parts for the local farmers and small business.
No CNC here. Finding local shops to do one offs has been difficult. Likely because those customers often don't really know what they want.

Simple question: Why do I need a SG--
If so, then what size? Type?
Ideas?
Suggestions?
Controversies?

I feel comfortable asking what might be such an obvious question here at HM.
Thank you.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
Reactions: Z2V
I have a Brown & Sharpe 6 x 12 SG, with the roller table and continuous oiling system installed. So far, it has exceeded my expectations for a small SG. I even SG's some parts that were 14" long, I managed to stretch the stroke a little, it's all it would go. I've installed a coolant system on it, but haven't used it yet.
Be nice to have one that would SG a table top on a Bridgeport, you know how that goes. I've stopped way short of having that.

I think you do need one and I might come up to use it occasionally! As a fledgling hobby machinist coming from band instrument repair, I like the things I make to look pretty--and nothing's prettier than something that's been surface ground. I would love to have one of those little Sanford bench top surface grinders myself to make some (small) things more accurate and some prettier, although I have to admit it probably wouldn't get enough use to justify buying one.
Bill

I have a Harig 6x18 Autostep. I have used manual surface grinders and they are just too time consuming.
The first thing you need to ask yourself is what you would use it for. It is great if something requires a good surface such as parts that need to be flat and smooth or to a very tight tolerance.
I use mine mainly for grinding tooling after heat treating. I make some odd punch and dies for my own use and also some form tools.
In reality mine only needs about 5' x 4' of floor space so it doesn't take up much.

Personally Daryl, I'd come at it from a different direction. I know you are on a budget, but the budget is for the building at this time and I'd make the building as large as your budget allows, right up to pushing it. And don't worry about a few square feet of space for one machine you don't know you even want yet. Then you'll have as much space as you can afford. And then fill it with all the tools, machines, and projects you can dream of. I very rarely, if ever, here of someone that has said "Oh darn, I made my shop too big!" Even if you don't fill the space with equipment, the extra work space for projects is really nice to have, particularly if you are tearing machines down or other large projects. I can almost guarantee, no matter what you plan for now, things will change and your space maybe to small in the end.

Also, don't come at it from the stand point that the layout is set in stone. It may be that way for a while, but again, life has a way of changing things even us. My shop is 25 years old and it is a work in progress as things are in a constant state of change. I know it isn't trying to think of every scenario or anticipate the future, but at some point you are going to have to call it good and go. I hope you'll give us a shop build thread? I love watching someone's dreams come true. Sorry, I know it isn't the answer to the question you asked. Good luck on your design.

Last edited:
What Randy is telling you, Daryl is, "Build it, and the tools will come".

As for surface grinders, they are not needed for most one-off things. When was the last time you needed something smooth or flat or parallel to some other reference within 0.0001 to 0.0003"? It really does not come-up all that often. For general "machinist" work, they are used and needed periodically. A Tool & Die maker will need one on just about every job.

I'm with Randy. Put your mind to building as much shop as you can then worry about what machines you fill it with later on. I had a SG for a few years. It took up too much space and needed bearings (about $500) a motor (about $150), the bed top needed to be re-ground ($200) and the ways needed scraping. I sold it to a friend whom I know would give it a good home. I use a tabletop cutter/grinder for rudimentary grinding tasks now.

Regards

Ray

I don't have the room for a surface grinder, but I'd get one if I did. It's a basic machine tool like a lathe or Bridgeport. There are always nice, small, manual Harig's for decent prices on Craigslist.

I would love to have a over head traveling crane in my dream shop someday. At least 5 ton, maybe 10 ton. All heck, make it 20 ton!
I would love to have a over head traveling crane in my dream shop someday. At least 5 ton, maybe 10 ton. All heck, make it 20 ton!
Where I apprenticed, a 30 ton crane would lift over 100 tons; I myself saw a 98 ton load on a 30 ton crane, these were leg sections of the San Mateo - Hayward Bridge, so your 5 ton should be good for at least 15 tons -----Seriously 'tho, when they tore the place down, those cranes were scrapped; they cut a gap in the crane rails and pulled them into the gap and onto the shop floor, a sight that I'd like to have seen in action; if they were not junk before the fall, they sure were afterwards!

I purchased a 6" x 12" manual surface grinder for the shop about 5 years ago. I don't use it on a daily basis, but it does get used often enough to earn it's keep. I see you're from the Midwest. There are several on Craigslist in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. They range in price from $450.00 to well over $10,000.00. If you're persistent you should be able to find one in good shape for around $500.00.

Here are some pictures of mine..
DSCF8037.JPG DSCF8038.JPG DSCF8040.JPG

Back