SG or no SG?

and ideally a separate grinding area.

I managed to do this with my last shop addition. Best thing ever. Grinding machines really need there own room keeping all that mess
away from the well oiled machines.
My shop is 2 additions on a 2 car garage. The garage and the newest edition are 8' ceilings and the other is 11'.
The 10,000 lbs cnc lathe, bridgeport , lathes, SG's, and jig grinder all get along just fine in 8' ceilings.
The 11' is for the someday VMC, most are tall nowadays. That's the dreaming part, for now it's getting an overhead hoist (another reason for the height).
Surface grinder.....definitely....maybe even 2.

Went thru this a few years back. To SG or not to SG: Yes, bought a small 6X12 manual in great condition for $500. And glad I finally did. Was more an issue of space than funds. They (6X12 or 6X18) come up for sale regularly around here for around $400-$900. I use mine monthly. It is more than adequate for what I currently do. If I had more paying work that involved a precision ground surface, I'd spring for a bigger one with a hydraulic table.
Second a dedicated grinding area that is separated. Currently have mine in a corner with the sandblasting cabinet, belt sander, and pedestal grinders. But even with a vacuum system, grit gets in the air. At the tech school grinders were in a separate area. Primary reason why I keep all my machines covered and wipe the way surfaces clean regularly with paper towels before use. Paper towels and way oil are cheaper and easier than repairing worn machined surfaces.

To SG or not, My first instinct is always, If you can, do it. and always the biggest and best you can afford and have room for. But first build the extension, ( wish I had room to do that). make it as big as you can. I saw a mention of radiant heating, personally I'd go for underfloor, warm water in plastic pipes. I think you get a pretty long cold winter over there, so if you can keep your shop warm you'll spend more time in it and you'll have a lot less condensation problems. I have underfloor here and we never get down to freezing never seen snow here, but it's luxury.

After building the extension you'll soon find what you want in there. I'd love to have a SG but a decent mill would be higher on the priority list and I don't even have room for that, so I'm stuck with a lathe only.

Knowing the kind of stuff you get involved with, I'd have to vote yes. 18"er?

I have an 8' 2"height, and I'd have rather had a 10' ceiling.

i would agree. however i have 9' because the roof of my build-out also serves as a mezzanine for parts storage and i need to stand up up there. but the 9' works good.
i also have double 8' doors leading in from the shop area which makes it easy to move machines in or out. doors were pricey tho'.
the higher the ceiling (to a point) makes the lighting and "claustrophobia" better
my opinion

to the original question: i planned my interior build-out (machine room) with space for tools i had and left some extra room. i have since filled most of the void with additional machines and can't expand anymore (with anything of size) without moving something else - elsewhere.
my home shop is 4k sq ft, under a/c is 1125 of which 225 is office. so 900' is for what i consider "machining" tools (plus a couple dirt bikes/gear).

i believe that is the size you are planning. i have a fair amount of equipment in that space and i'm not cramped - as in not sucking my gut in to get somewhere or bumping elbows on another piece.

If I were you I'd plan a small area for grinding jobs. Then I'd add another 6'x6' square for the SG when it gets time and funds to do. Planning don't cost extra and the little room isn't hard to make now. I was able to get a old landis 1 1/2 SG but ill need to build a room in front of my garage just for it and grinding operations. 8' x 12' will seem small but to me I'll be in debt if I can get well enough to frame it out with help for the roof attach to the garage .

Last edited:
Daryl I know You plan on doing some scraping with all the scraping tools you now own plus spent money to take my class. Once you own a surface grinder you will kick yourself in the butt for not buying one years ago. You will find you will wish you had a bigger one too. You have enough land for a shop that big? Seemed to me you were on a small lot? When I had my pole barn built I found Cleary building do mine. A neighbor had one built last fall and Siwek in NE Mpls build his, said they were a whole lot cheaper.

Pick up a sign plate mag chuck if you can, makes scraping tapered gibs a whole lot easier to grind the taper before putting on Turcite. If you need a hand when you build it, give me a shout. Rich

For shop ceiling height, I like the 12' in mine as a car shop with a lift. Machine shop only, 10'min. Had to have a wrecker bring the mill in through a 10' garage door, not sure how you move equipment into your finished space. In the planning stage, plan on lots of power outlets everywhere-ceilings, walls. 220 in places you don't expect to need it. Where might you stuck a RFC for 3 phase? (Plan on big wire if far from box). My 3 phase is in conduit surface mounted so you can see what is going on. Power becomes the biggest issue when setting equipment. I have a 40x60 with several thousand feet of wire installed, 4 gang outlets every 4 feet along the walls and I still wish I had outlets in places it isn't ( mostly ceiling for lights).

I too think I need a surface grinder. Not sure why and no specific projects, but it seems like the standard "when you need one, you need one" kind of tools. Keeping in mind that anyone with 10000 worth of tools can make a 5 dollar part whenever they want (maybe that's why this is a hobby?). I had a lathe and mill for years, but see a SG as the next evolution.

This is the fun part - enjoy.

If your equipment is less than 5000 lbs each 8 foot doors will work unless you have a real tall machine. A triple mast 5000 lb capacity fork lift goes under an 8 foot door easily. Most any rental place worth their salt will have triple mast 5000 lb machines.

Back