SG spindle lube

38super

Registered
Registered
Replacing the SG spindle bearing. Existing were dry and rough. Wheel and pulley sides have caps, spindle casting does not have provisions for a gits oiler. If you had a choice, would you chose spindle oil or wheel bearing grease.

TIA
super

Well if they are open and completely exposed to the grinding dust I would probably want Oil but if they are enclosed and protected from that grinding dust then I think I woukd go with a high quality synthetic grease.

The end caps seal the spindle casting, so far it's looks like NLGI 2 grease.

Look for a manufacture recommendation. Spindle bearings are too expensive to be guessing. Kuebler Grease is a popular synthetic.

Will try the Kuebler grease. Hope I don't end up with cookies, oh that's Keebler.

I’m not gonna recommend any particular grease! But, I would like to put some fear into your decision making! I would not just grab any old grease because the can says grease on it! When you are dealing with angular contact bearings in a pre-load condition and running at high speeds. Your selection of a proper grease is limited and expensive!!! I think your biggest enemy is going to be bearing skidding and contaminated grease from poor manufacturing. Good Luck…Dave

The grease choices were Kendall Ultra Blue (on hand) or Kuebler (on order). Honestly, I'd rather use spindle oil.

Back