Shaft Material

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I need to make myself another shaft for my QCGB,I may be able use it and just turn the OD down then install bushing to fit.But I may just try and make another shaft just to see if I can do it.The shaft has couple different OD's and on the end I will have to try and cut a 5/16 thread.I don't know what kind of material that I should be looking for that has a little strength and to be able to turn the OD down and cut thread on the end.What kind of material should I be looking for?

You may try 4140 annealed since this is an alloy steel and the machinability is comparable with 1045.

Rockwell did not use anything fancy like 4140. From what I've found on my Rockwell lathe, most all is either 1215 or 1144 steel, no alloy steel used for any of the shafts that I can tell and or machined on. Not needed. My preference is 1144 has the same strength as 4130-4140 annealed or better. Much easier to machine, too. It may be a function on what you can find locally.

Edit: I have used drill rod, too. Pretty easy to find. A little tough to cut on, but you have a nice ground finish to work with.

You may try 4140 annealed since this is an alloy steel and the machinability is comparable with 1045.
All steel is an alloy, the phrase Alloy Steel is redundant making stainless steel an alloy of an alloy.
Surprising no one the automotive industry coined the phrase Alloy Wheels, one may produce an aluminum wheel that is not alloyed, it is impossible to produce a steel wheel that is not an alloy.

All steel is an alloy, the phrase Alloy Steel is redundant making stainless steel an alloy of an alloy.
Surprising no one the automotive industry coined the phrase Alloy Wheels, one may produce an aluminum wheel that is not alloyed, it is impossible to produce a steel wheel that is not an alloy.
Are we splitting hairs here? In my book, a steel that is just a carbon steel is not considered an alloy steel; to be considered an alloy steel, usage is that it contains another element, such as tungsten, nickel, chrome, etc. Mere traces of other elements that do not have an effect on strength or durability do not make it an alloy steel.

Per 4gsr recommendations, I use a lot of O1 drill rod. Turns and machines well, I use it quite a bit along with some A2, do not like to turn 1018. Have not used 1144 stressproof, but would be a good alternate. Missed the part that this was for your QCGB (thought it was a toolpost which I used O1). I think just about anything would work, but I like the O1 drill rod and usually readily available.

Last edited:
1144 is my go to steel, Stressproof if it's LaSalle made, machines like a dream and it was designed to make shafting. NOT for barrel making, splits open with a boom. I made some muzzlebrakes and it worked well for that application. Locally cheap too. YMMV.

Back