Shaft Play in Kalamazoo Bandsaw

Danegineering

Registered
Registered
I'm in the process of restoring a Kalamazoo 816C. The thing was in rather bad shape when I get it. It looked like they had kept it stored behind all the grinders! The end is near, but I made a mistake. When I took apart the gear box for cleaning and bearing checks, I didn't realize that what I thought were metallic seals, were in fact tightly compressed shim stacks. It dawned upon me as I was cleaning them off and they started to separate... Oops!

Before disassembly, I also didn't think to check how much play was in the shaft. It wasn't until I got in too deep that I realized how much care and precision went into the design of that gear box.

On re-assembly, I'm using a different seal material for the main flange gasket as the old one disintegrated, so I'll need to tweak the shim stack regardless.

Does anybody happen to have a Kalamazoo where they can stick an indicator on it and check the shaft play for the motor drive shaft and the drive wheel shaft?

Thanks!

Attachments

• BandSawDriveGear.png
    BandSawDriveGear.png
    3 MB · Views: 7
Look for a service manual online.

The standard service manual doesn't seem to include a value. Kalamazoo hasn't answered my e-mail yet either. If anybody has a manual with the official value, that'd be glorious, but it wasn't listed in any of the ones I've found online.

Are the shims backing up tapered roller bearings? If so, the end play should be very little.

Yes. Both shafts are supported by tapered roller bearings. My concern was whether or not Kalamazoo intentionally left a bit of play in there to account for thermal expansion on long cuts, so I am hesitant to shim too tightly.

Back