Shape of shims to tram mill

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
In all of the threads that I have read about traming a round column mill/drill I don't recall ever reading about the shape of the shims. Or where it should be placed. Do you shape the shims so they fit around the bolt. Or on both sides of the bolt. Or just on the sides. Or just on the front and back. Or does it even matter where you put them.

Got to use my mill/drill for the first time today since I moved into my new house a year ago. Today's project didn't require any precision. I was milling down a fitting so it would slip into a slot on a boom support for my sailboat. Tomorrow I am thinking about traming the column. I had to take the column/head off the base to move it from my old house to my new place. I am sure that messed up the alignment of the head to the table.

Suggestions please.

Rick Sparber had a very through how to for tramming a mill drill. It seems Rick has expanded his site and I can’t find it.

I know how to check the tram my mill/drill, I have done it before. I was just wondering about the shape and placement of the shims. If some way was better than others.

When I bought it years ago I had to take it apart to bring it home. I kept the shims and put them back in the same place. The shims were some kind of paper/metal and the mill tramed within .001 when I put it back together. The shims went bye bye in this move. So I am starting from scratch. The previous shims were located on all four sides of the base. I will probably do that again.

I shimmed mine using shims on either side of the bolt.

When I shimmed mine I cut out a slot in the shim so they could slide around the bolt. That's how most shims are made for alignment. Look up slotted shim to see pictures of it.

What I was picturing it in my head I was thinking a horseshoe shape.

I haven’t checked my old Jet-15 Mill Drill so maybe I should . Have those that have shined about how thick of shims were needed ?

If anyone would ever need a complete shim set , speak up and I will post one for sale . :)

Back