Shaper is making chips

Reeltor

Active User
Registered
I wanted to thank everyone who responded to many of my dumb questions regarding my shaper. It is up and running. These things are a lot of fun!!!

Here is a test of a cutter for a job that I need to do. The test is in aluminum, the actual job will be in DOM tubing. Couldn't do it on the mill, at least not with the tooling on-hand, the grove follows the circumference of the OD of the material.

Test in aluminum blank.JPG

:encourage: Awesome, congratulations! I love running mine.

That's a very cool groove, following the perimeter like that. Must file that away for future reference....

-frank

Great to hear your machine is alive and performing. Post photos of your machine now and any set ups. Yes, they are fun to run.

Great to hear your machine is alive and performing. Post photos of your machine now and any set ups. Yes, they are fun to run.
Will do when I have a setup and am ready to run. Right now I need to make a boring bar setup for the shaper. I saw a Turn Wright Machine Works/Keith Fenner video where he made a bar to go directly into the clapper box. That looks like a very rigid setup, anyone have any pros/cons to using a tool holder to mount a boring bar vs. the direct mount?

I've had both. Currently have a holder mounted one, I needed the reach to get closer to the table. Being lower also helps stop the tool from rising in the cut. Straight out in front the tool wants to rise out of the cut making it necessary to lock the clapper.
Nice work on the keyway.

Greg

You can make a boring bar holder for your shaper using a split or two piece rigid shaft coupling welded to a piece of flat bar.

Here is a similar bar holder.

Thanks for the photo, I will file it for future reference. I'll go this route when I need a larger diameter bar to resist flexing.
That looks like a nice shaper you have; what are the details?

Reeltor,
I found the photo on the PM site. My Shaper is a 1956 24 in. G&E universal similar to yours, just a little bit later model. I am always interested in how Shaper owners approach their work and the set ups used. Keep it working and send more photos. Have fun and be safe.

I need to make an auxiliary table so that I can mount some work in a dividing head. I'll post some photos when the setup is complete.

Back