Shaper is making chips

So, maybe an obvious question, but can you slot the inside Diameter of work with a shaper? If so, are there any restrictions on how deep into the bore one can go? The specific instance I am thinking of is making a set of 1" ID spacers that slip over an arbor for a horizontal mill. The spacers typically have a key way cut into the ID. At present I don't have a broach set and just missed buying a slotting head for my VN 12. So have no good way to cut inside diameter slots.

Maybe I need a broaching tool.....

Glenn

Glenn,

The short answer is yes.
now, I am not the shaper guy to ask... I think I may have used a shaper once back in college and maybe back in the 8th grade.
After watching Keith Fenner's video that I posted above, the issue with cutting a key with a small diameter boring bar is bar flex. But since you are wanting to cut a keyway in short length arbor spacers for your mill I don't see a real problem.
For this application, I would just buy new arbor spacers, since I don't own a surface grinder to get the ends parallel. Enco used to sell these, I bet MSC still has them, the problem is finding them on-line IIRC they named them something that didn't occur to me.

good luck

Mike

As Mike said yes. Guess you could cut as deep as the stroke of the shaper, but the flex in your bar might be the limiting factor.
OxtTpB2ZtHMAk9hFmM5Y3IV0RJAQFBYYpf4GXxC_hcvl1Q5cyNZXdNTbQPScQt0lLli0d1ynfxFhj8r3cinEby-Sofy3uNlh8_GyhyUntgqsULJjMVR1rDLrNwJRpAKpkSaZyOO0f9emzso2zauCrRry9d9u4dCB_7gxKS0t3Gmn_zWAMOjLCXfPlj3JcL24aNoHvSBBI08Rv20jF3OmpdCqZ8gvqPlVZIGHDMzbTuWNX8N5eI8EbsG6C554r_79Vhhs0oC2bP-jSQj2YPGrntWr0x_NP-foBp3512ybar2VongWSFvA-TQedG7U8doHyu6s92hGbl7-6pVm24Q9s8XH0Q0PSs5D6Cbx67tkcPCEmTJLXKhJwvQbLlBRkAM3CItqMsj8WgXQyuW99mnO7pVQAVuqVH2IZQB8DxiDr9vhRdjxDALXBaS9ckeooCoXpbyHezWN-FckPxiY_K5t8f89h0EgkOfStIeR333SNa82JumP7NGq8rdOWSoXLNJoQqXghWTR0yVWJ6il_oJAeRvlVuUwWF7VD65so9796E0Tky2lH_VcygaKn583x5XHmBPx76JUw8ZH0mqfR3WolDMXDVgV7wMWzWjeZ18e_A=w1702-h1276-no

Greg

Reeltor,
Auxiliary table.
You are located in a large metro area, so opportunities may be around you. Check with the local machinery dealers or scrap yards for fixture plates or machine tables. An old milling table could be cut down to fit. I am going to make one for my Shaper from a cast iron fixture plate on hand and tap the top 1/2-unc for clamping tooling. I will drill through and counter bore to mount to the Shaper table. You can also make a sub-base to extend the table reach. Look forward to seeing your table at work.

The nice lady from the post office delivered a Boring Bar Holder today. I got it from Uglydog; he has a very limited number of holders, if anyone is interested please contact Daryl directly for availability and pricing.

Mods, if this violates any rules please delete it.

Any updates? Looking into maybe getting a 16" G&E myself.

The nice lady from the post office delivered a Boring Bar Holder today. I got it from Uglydog; he has a very limited number of holders, if anyone is interested please contact Daryl directly for availability and pricing.

Mods, if this violates any rules please delete it.
Beats the crushed empty boxes I keep getting.

Back