Shaper Tool Holder Question

I have seen keyseating tools for shapers, homemade, that replace the tool post; at the front end they are threaded for a nut that retains them and clamps them in place; they are necked down to whatever diameter and length is appropriate for the job at hand and provided with a square hole near the outer end and the end is drilled and tapped for a setscrew. This said, I have never been a fan of keyseating in the shaper, what with the tool dragging on the return stroke and dulling easily, lots of chatter, etc. One thing to remember; do your cutting on the top side of the workpiece, not the bottom, this eliminates the chance of the tool dropping down while feeding into the cut. Also of course, the clapper box must be immobilized, usually with setscrews near the bottom on one or both sides that bear on dimples drilled into the clapper; most shapers that I have seen and used, already have these provided, my 20-24 Gould & Eberhardt does, but thanks be, I do not have to use it for internal shaping, as I also have a 6" Pratt & Whitney vertical shaper for that class of work; it has a specially designed clapper box that makes internal shaping a pleasure so far as tooling holding up is concerned. One thing about internal shaping tools is that very little relief (clearance) on the cutting face is required, only a few degrees, and back rake should not be excessive, or the tools tend to hog in.

The keyseater you mention is what I've seen too. Where Stefan's is different is the cutting tool is the extension, so it's very ridged looking as there is no offset, and no clapper so nothing to tighten up. It obviously works good because he's done many internal keys with it(always cutting on the bottom of the hole) and there seems to be no chatter. He's not the kind of guy that thinks chatter in any of his finishes is ok. Since the clapper/tool holder are so easy to remove and replace with this kind of setup it's definitely on my list if it ever comes up that I need to do any internal work. It dawns on me though that one of his design features is a 5deg down tilt to the tool mount hole to help with clearance. I'm in no way some kind of expert on shapers, I'm only trying to pass on what I think I remember. IIRC he said he had plans for that tool mount on his website too. You would have to modify to make it work on other shapers I'm sure.

I'd seen his keyway setup some time ago, and just watched a video again. Can't see the advantage of having the bar at the 5 degree angle, actually in the video I watched he had to machine the top of the bar at a negative angle to clear the top of the bore.
I made a bar that replaced the tool holder for the Logan I had, worked great. For the Peerless I have now it required a holder to lower the bar to the table. The ram to table distance is too great to clamp parts at the height of the tool holder. Still cuts chatter free with the bar holder.
IMG_2019.jpg

The table is at the top of its travel here.

IMG_2083.jpg

Greg

The similar holder that Armstrong made had a split clamped hole for the "boring bar" It could be extended as long or short as desired and would not be a difficult home build. The split was on a radial line to one side of the shank, the clamp screw was at 90 deg. to the centerline of the holder.
I have one for my shaper, but have only used a few times until I bought my keyseater and vertical shaper; either one is better than the shaper for keyseats, the keyseater especially, because it automatically centers the keyseat in the bore.

I'd seen his keyway setup some time ago, and just watched a video again. Can't see the advantage of having the bar at the 5 degree angle, actually in the video I watched he had to machine the top of the bar at a negative angle to clear the top of the bore.
I made a bar that replaced the tool holder for the Logan I had, worked great. For the Peerless I have now it required a holder to lower the bar to the table. The ram to table distance is too great to clamp parts at the height of the tool holder. Still cuts chatter free with the bar holder.
View attachment 255702
The table is at the top of its travel here.

View attachment 255703

Greg

I saw this before here in the shaper forum. Very cool and what made me look at my tool holder. Thing that makes me crazy is I was in some tourist antique store and saw one of those special holders and thought "WTH?". Being only mildly familiar with lathe tool holders. Those antique places are chock full of weird tools that I'll never find out what they are for. BTW that's a very studly looking shaper! I don't think something of that caliber ever has chatter :)

I've been looking for the round head adjustable type for my planer. Most on flebay want my arm and leg to buy one. Ill keep watch eventually ill find one around the $20 Mark. Or ill just make one or two.

I don't mean to be the wet blanket, but I think you might have a very long wait to buy a round head adjustable shaper tool holder for $20 or less. If you don't have a very very long wait you will be shot heck full of incredible luck since those just do not sell cheap. Just my opinion though.

I find things near my prices all the time. I needed a collet nose for my 5c collets on my logan there up to around a hundred now. Not to long ago I bought a small lot of tooling for thirty bucks , YUPP one was there it was pictured but not pointed out . I bide my time never rush they come up . There was one on last week for $29.50 + ship . Buy it now. There's always more.

Not sure if I've posted these on this site before, apologies if I have.

After ages looking for one I made my own at no cost, used a huge old holder for the shank and some old shaft steel for the rest of it.

I cut the castellations in a dividing head on my shaper, rather a rough finish there as the tool blunted very quickly in the tough steel.

The washer can be changed if wear occurs and also allows round tools to be used if needed.

Using it with the nut under the clapper will reducer chatter.

Tool bit isn't ground for shaper use yet in the pics.

DSCF0799.JPG
DSCF0792.JPG
DSCF0800.JPG

Bernard

Yup, if you are patient and observant stuff shows up. I have to admit my first reaction was the same Uncle Buck because I've never seen those holders for less than $100 anywhere. But then I thought back to how many screaming deals I've gotten on even eBay and decided Silverbullet was right. After all I got my 7b complete with tool holder, original vise and funky stand (just missing the motor belt guard) for $125. So miracles happen. In my case it was totally out of the blue and I wasn't looking for one. But the trick is to know what you're looking at too. Just yesterday I had a neighbor offer me a a big Craftsman floor standing drill press that looks perfect for free! Also totally unexpected, and I have to pass as I don't have the room. Then there's the case of that crazy deal up in Redding of a complete 20" shaper for $250! The deals are out there.....

Back