Shaper Video, Rudy Kouhoupt

at least I can trust RealPlayer not to be full of virus/malware.

as x-files taught us Trust no one!

upload any questionable installers or any file to:
https://www.virustotal.com/
to have it automatically scanned by ~56 different virus/malware scanners.

I believe Google now owns them too, but the results do not seem tainted by that.......yet.......and yes I am paranoid. :dejected:

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post, but I do believe computer security is both extremely important and often difficult to achieve.

-brino

(PS: remember to backup your hard-drives!)

I can not imagine that the owners of the rights to Rudy's videos are very happy about someone posting them on you tube.

That is a very instructional video. But I have to say that as I was watching it, I kept wondering to myself if he was ever going to actually cut any metal.

For those with experience using shapers; have you heard of the 3/8" rule that Mr. Kouhoupt talks about when setting the vertical location of the clapper box?

Is this "rule" for larger shapers too, say for a 16" 5,000lb G & E?

I don't believe the "3/8 inch rule" will apply to your larger machine. I've run across some references from Cincinnati and others that say no more than 1" extension of the tool slide, so it really depends (and is somewhat proportional) to your machine size. Here's a snip from an old training manual, and although it does not specifically reference a particular machine size I believe they are assuming that the machine being used will be roughly 16" or thereabouts.

As with anything though, you may choose to play it safer depending on how much you DON'T want to break your machine!

toolslide extension.JPG

-frank

Thanks Frank,

Yes, a shaper cuts with brute force, better let it take some extra passes across the work and not take a chance of breaking anything.

Mike

I made a similar tool holder for my shaper for doing internal keyways. I did it to allow access of the tool into smaller bores, but I assume that Rudy's statement about it being more rigid and easier on the clapper relates to the reduction / elimination of the "lever arm" created as the tool is extended below the center line of the tool holder. The closer the cutting edge of the tool is to the center line of the holder the less leverage there is, thus less stress. I also noticed when using this new holder that there is somewhat of a tendency for the tool to lift on the cutting stroke. It seems that this lifting effect can be reduced via the shape of the cutting tool. Also, I learned a valuable tip from one of Kieth Fenner's videos when he was experiencing this effect while cutting an internal keyway on his shaper. He solved the problem by turning the work up side down and cutting the keyway at the top of the work. This method eliminates the possibility of tool lift on the cutting stroke.

Thanks for posting the video Mike. I've seen it before, but it was good to watch it again.

Ted
This is the way it is normally done, with the tool on top; also most shapers that have been used for this sort of work have had setscrews tapped into the sides of the clapper box near the bottom and matching dimples in the clapper itself; these are tightened up to immobilize the clapper when doing internal shaping, which is a pain in the ass at best.
When I had to chance to but a Pratt & Whitney 6" vertical shaper I jumped at it; they are a wonderful tool for internal and external shaping; I also have a shaping attachment for my B&S #2 universal mill; it has the advantage of stroking at any angle 90 degrees to the mill spindle axis, that is in line with the mill table travel.

Back