Shaper vise question

NCjeeper

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So I need to rotate the vise on my new to me G&E shaper. I know its not rocket science but I am not seeing how. No obvious hold down bolts that clamp the rotating base. There is only the 4 hold down to the table bolts. Do these bolts need to be loosened to rotate? Also what is this pin? I thought it was a pin to pull so I could rotate the vise but no luck. Looking into the hole I see a spring and a detent ball? The pin will spin freely and nothing happens. I can move it up an down a smidge. I tried prying it up and it doesn't want to move. I see the head of the pin has hammer marks so this pin must do something. Just need to know how to proceed. Thanks.
GOPR3458.JPG

GOPR3459.JPG

Hi Tom
Are there Allen head bolts from above between the vise jaws? Pin might be an alignment pin
Cheers
Martin

You just need to loosen the 4 bolts, the pin is to keep the vise from slipping on the table under heavy cuts or if the table is tilted fore & aft and the vise loosened to rotate it.
My shaper is a 20 - 24 G&E industrial universal, looks about the same as yours.

The vise should rotate freely when the nuts are loosened.

I tried yanking on it and it doesn't want to move. Should I break out the sledge?

I went back out to the shop. Grabbed ahold of the vise and really yanked it and it broke free. Thanks for your help.

The vise on my Cincinnati was the same way. Scratched my head a bit until I looked at the exploded parts diagram I had, after which it made sense. By the way, the older G&E shaper vises had separate bolts to hold the rotation, but you had to remove some of the bolts that held the vise to the table in order to get to the bolts that held the vise rotation, so it wasn't the best solution.

Back