Shaper vise

Downwindtracker2

Active User
Registered
We all know a shaper vise is different than a milling machine or drill press vises. But shapers are rare animals and from what I've seen ,their vises are extinct around here. I have a 1950s 6" shop built baby shaper that I'm completing. What kind of problems will I run into using a 4" POS Chinese Kurt style vise?

It should work fine. I used a Palmgren vice which is little more than a heavy drill press vice on my 7 inch Logan. If the cut got REAL heavy the work would slip and save breaking something.
XWwL_ZCdnQCImQqeTcFWda1qYCPKaTf7NBFEU1xMIq-Od02P7TTzeCMO2gGOzKK5ErMTILdgOoDnY5R1kFd0TzWbzf_rMBP8efYiNQ7xnDNbx-u1d4fzvRTT-IYg0JCtg3oxoM0IjPHzG6jDi7dcgKHIag_atWpdkrwrLfoHAPxe2sDnWKMILgutu9we4AhfUkv3dixUrsqBbszrtUgaB-6VcaAMIItWZL693Nd77WraRJnB5hikZx_jTRsg7leL7VirAm56Zlj5n2-jlBhTRodwfGJmta411H2-_G9FC_8No0PpfJfxZ5qN32ntq1ZHNhGRKjbGVlfuyI3ksItqUE6Cm-2j42qYzghJxR05Hq5-4ITes1ITJtyAhCeGxXTr73425_C7CrxK1NaOhU2q0E-PQDcpT5PB7a-Jz-rkHQEQ1vL9Sa5qkWQTRzoGvk54-9WJYh4iALpgmhgD1o6-fNYu-8-Cu3h3jTeuy6z5SkawCAevw9bbBi1ezcbkdYrUc-2p6TQbMSpZGmalYL5eMLd5vXE94vgSzhRIO59615BcsRbrf_nAilTPDtZqLwJtVda5ufS3YIIgjAy9Rr_1zcNISzDHtfiVxp_cbn7txSQ6uDvGfcrj=w1748-h1171-no

I've been using a 6 inch Taiwanese vice in the 16 inch shaper I have now. Would like to get a bigger one though.

Greg

I am in the same boat as you, found a 16" shaper that I have just got running but haven't made any chips with yet.
Adam Booth aka ABom79 just bought a Shars vise for his 14" shaper; I don't think he has posted how the vise worked under the load of the shaper.

Greg was posting as I was getting the link; I have a palmgren vise on the mill that I just moved to the shaper.

Mike

On my Chinese vise. I bought it on sale from BusyBee (Canadian Grizzly)a number of years back to use on the drill press. When I opened the box I realized it was too heavy and awkward, so it stayed in the box until that someday mill. The mill/drill came with a nice Japanese 5" conventional milling vise, so it stayed in the box until I got the shaper.

-the swivel plate was uneven and out of parallel, it was trued?? on a shaper
- the down wedging ball was very rough and so was the socket it fit into
- one of the jaws varies .007 in thickness ,which I haven't trued yet.
- and jaw heights were different
-the screw isn't an acme ,rather just a metric? thread

I think I paid $79.99 but that was a while back. The vise bed itself is parallel to the bottom, within a thou or so. Which I would call good.

I drilled the swivel plate to use as an adapter and slotted the vise for when I just use it . They just fit. But they eat height.

A shaper vise is low and wide, with the screw being anchored in the stationary jaw, unlike a milling machine vise. They also use the table as the swivel plate.

here is a pdf for building your own vise, if you like the challenge!

Attachments

• ShaperVise.pdf
    536.9 KB · Views: 735
That IS a shaper vise. Thanks! I'll see if I can contact him and get him to ship it.

Thanks, Steve! Snagged it! I've only seen one other Atlas shaper vise come up for sale that I can remember. It was on E-bay and was pretty beat up. This one looks to be in decent shape. It's got to beat the crappy little drill press vise I've been using on it.

Back