Shaper vise

Like has been noted, even the standard shaper swivel vise eats height clearance. I'm in a pickle right now as the piece I want to shape is 3" tall and it's just a little to tall to fit in my stock Atlas vise.After watching the Rudy K shaper vid I've been contemplating one like he has. It's a two piece and uses the table as the base. Most of the two piece milling vises I've seen are 6 or 8". So too big IMHO for the 7b. My first attempt is to make a backstop out of some Durabar that will clamp parallel to the cutter to the middle t-nut slot and use slots and mill clamps on the side of the table for the actual clamping pressure on the work. That should gain me 3" at least!

I have two pieces of 1x2 flat bar that I use as a table top vice. My table has 3 slots the fixed bar gets clamped to one, the second has set screw coming through the side. It gets bolted to one of the other slots and the set screws clamp the work. Tough to get the work flat to the table but once clamped it stays there.

Greg

if you were so inclined you could make or buy a set of toe clamps.
they will securely force the work against the box, without the need for a vise.
you should also use a blocker when using toe clamps too, as a precaution .

if you were so inclined you could make or buy a set of toe clamps.
they will securely force the work against the box, without the need for a vise.
you should also use a blocker when using toe clamps too, as a precaution .

Mike are you referring to fixture clamps similar to the ones from Mitee Bite or hold downs like the ones from Starrett?
I have read that the toe clamps have enormous holding strength, but I think in industry they are used primarily with end mills and rotational forces. I am wondering if they will hold up to the forces of a shaper ram. I have recently learned how easy it is for the shaper to push the work around, you can imagine how--- LOL

fixtur_clamp_header1.jpg

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/54A#Features
http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/54A#Features
Starrett provides downloadable drawings and modeling.

Thanks Ulma Doctor, there were some really interesting clamps in those pics. Going to have to keep on the lookout for toe clamps.

The clamping info is appreciated. I always want to take a big bite with the horizontal mill and adequate clamping can be a problem. Now that I have a shaper up and going, I will need to make and/or buy some clamps.
To get back to the OP's original question. I am considering buying a set like this or just making the moving jaw part. Two piece vice, seems like they would be ideal for using on a shaper. This is a 6" vice from Grizzly for $129.95.

h2992-670a635bdc1fe85d7204dd315ca8c00e.jpg

That's a bit like Rudy K's vise is like and what I originally found. Problem is the 6" is the smallest and while this doesn't sound like a problem for you I think it's probably to big for my 7b where the table is only 6x6 1/2". The original vise is only 4", and unfortunately the smallest 2pc vise is 6".

Back