Shaper vs mill

Many years ago, we used three different size shapers for rough removal of stock.
Here are photos of a tool I ground and used on a 48"? shaper.
To the best of my memory, this particular 5/8--LATHE GRINDERS & Shaper tool 004.JPGLATHE GRINDERS & Shaper tool 005.JPGLATHE GRINDERS & Shaper tool 008.JPGRex49 tool bit was used to remove stock on a 36" bar of cold rolled steel.
Hard to tell from photos but I think machine was set on .040 feed for a cut of app. 5/8"
This really stressed the old shaper, but that's what the boss wanted!

Ah, so this was covered in another vid I guess. I guess this is another opportunity for creative problem solving.

Ah, so this was covered in another vid I guess. I guess this is another opportunity for creative problem solving.
My link was to the Directors cut, he has one or two longer ones with more detail.

I watched them and the directors cut was the best IMHO. In the long separate ones there was no mention of how those dividing plates came about. I get its tough to make a vid period, and it's tough to include what is pertinent. I also know from my limited posting of my project pix what is clear to me doesn't always translate to the rest of the world. But I'm always up for trying to follow up if there are questions and in no way am I dinging your post of his vid or his vid. I appreciate this whole thing. There is so much out there and it's sometimes hard to find without the proper search criteria.

Hi C-Bag,
Yes Marcus used a 3-D printer but you can use whatever you like as long as it gives the divisions you want. Dividing plates, gears, does not matter it is just something to index the position of the blank.
That build was part of a competition. Here's the You Tube video's of it.

I have been look for some Maag or BoMer cutters as I reckon they would do a better job and speed up the process but the only one I have found are expensive, probably easier to make a piece of rack and use it as a cutter.
The beauty of using a shaper is that it is so easy to make the cutter and the indexing attachment.
I have a copy of Planing and Shaping 1915 if anyone is interested.

I've cut racks on the shaper, I guess this is my next logical step in evolution.

Greg

Here is a magazine article that explains that gear generation method, it also includes a set of plans for that special dividing head.

Attachments

• Gear Generation on a Shaper.pdf
    391 KB · Views: 21
Glad to see this site is back-or was it this possesed PC? for many months. OK we need a small gear right now. I do not
have the time or the money for a one time use for a cutter for the mill. My son bought a 4,000lb trailer winch that took a dump first use. The motor drive gear broke in half. So no math no gear jig although I have one gettin to lazy to put it on.
I epoxied the two broken halfs. Now I ground the profile HSS blank. I turned a steel gear blank and champered sides.
I turned a mandrel and slid that onto the gear and blank and set that on the vise with gear side toward cutter. Lower tool
into the gear get it dead on and clamp the vise. Now start cutting the blank till it just swipes the root of the broken gear.
Now rotate to the next tooth- Oh I have two way tape between the blank and the blued gear to see the swipe. Here is my logic = wait a month of Sundays for UPS pay for a one time 'real cutter' and all that hated math, and by the time they
process my check for said cutter the gear is made. The hard part - no - I should say the time is grinding the tool exactly.
Now the ole mill vs shaper will be challanged, just wait till Adam Booth any day now. That G&E don't make chips, It
will make red hot bricks fly through the wall. No end mill can take that kind of cut, why, because the shaper is doing strokes per min. which means one stroke you just zipped a 1/2 deep probably 5/8 wide figure max table travel fo figure..
I would never try that with a mill or you have a flyin end mill.....Knowing Adam he will push the G&E to its max....
We will see..................sam

And internal splines and shapes along with gears and dovetails. It can leave a really smooth accurate finish too. Close as you can get to a ground finish without a surface grinder. Not to mention it uses lathe type bits to do all of this. But it has a pretty steep learning curve in operation, and proper profiling of tool bits.
I agree completely, but even though you can't learn everything about a shaper quickly, with some study ive been able to pull off amazing surface finishes on my shaper, and I've only had it for 3 weeks!! Ps:ignore the calipers :p

Attachments

• received_170498681107833.jpeg
    received_170498681107833.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 12
Back