Sharp 10x50 3hp Anilam CnC and vfd questions?

uberdag

Registered
Registered
So i finally got the Mill into my garage and then put in a 220 outlet for garage and bought a one to three phase VFD for it... Problem is i started to think about how the vfd will interact with the cnc controls and it seems you just cant do that...??? Mill has motor for for collet as well but havnt gotten on ladder to see if it runs off the 110 or 220 3 phase

Can I hook the vfd into the 1996 era circuitry? Should i just Hook up the spindle motor directly? and jumper the spindle control on the cnc? Should i just get a rotary phase converter?

It is possible to connect the VFD to the original system. But it will take a little thinking. If the Anilam control actually controlled the motor, then you could just disconnect the power wires from the spindle motor contactor and use it as a relay to control the VFD. You would want to connect the VFD to the motor directly, but could connect the VFD power input to the main disconnect switch in the control cabinet, if it has one. If not, then a disconnect

I would have to know a lot more about your Anilam control panel to offer any meaningful advice. Some pictures would be helpful and especially pictures of any wiring diagrams you have for the machine.

The VFD is wired directly to the spindle motor. The controller itself runs on 120vac on a dedicated circuit. The controller may have the capabilities to control the speed of the spindle through the VFD, depending on the model of the controller, but you may need a spindle encoder and a dedicated wiring harness.

Sorry for delay, and thanks for responses... Here are some pics... If I can just ignore CNC control and just use vfd without errors that works, but would like to try integration. Here are some pics, also have close ups if needed

Attachments

• IMG_20190623_141129.jpg
    IMG_20190623_141129.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20190623_141058.jpg
    IMG_20190623_141058.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190623_135924.jpg
    IMG_20190623_135924.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 25
It looks like it would be pretty easy to integrate the VFD into the system. The 3 small relays on the upper right seem to control the coolant pump, spindle forward, and spindle reverse. So that is where you would connect the VFD control wires.

The VFD could be powered up by the main switch. The reversing contactor assembly (center top) would not be used.

The coolant pump seems to be a 3 phase motor, powered up by the small contactor to the left of the reversing contactor. I guess what I would do is go to Harbor Freight and pick up a single phase pump, they have a large selection. If you don't have a full enclosure, maybe a spray mist coolant system would be a better choice.

That's what I love about this place. Great advice and a helpful attitude make for a friendly place.

I completely agree that you could get the mill to work with a VFD. If it were me I would just get a rotary phase converter and call it good.

One of the main reasons, for me at least, to use a VFD is to get variable speed for your spindle. Since your CNC controls have no support for changing the speed I personally would not go through the trouble of implementing a VFD.

Get an RPC, plug every thing in, and go!

no coolant pump on the machine... and the way oil is manual as well...
So which one is the main switch i wire it into? the one right after the fuses or the one with the yellow connector caps?

one reason to use vfd = $125 rotary phase = $800-$1100

The main switch is on the upper left, before the fuses. I would connect the VFD input power to the fuses.

The wires with the yellow caps look like the wires to the spindle motor. These would go to the VFD output terminals.

I found the same diagram in my archives that is actually readable, so this makes life easy. It looks like you have a choice of Auto/Manual spindle operation, there should be a switch on the back of the cabinet. You can fully integrate the VFD without disturbing much of the original wiring by using the forward and reverse relays on the right. I'll provide the exact connections when you get your VFD.

Last edited:
Back