Sharp corner square steel tube?

Here are a couple of pictures of a rusty old base from another credenza (that I hope to be able to replace if I can do a great job with this one). The leg is 3/4" solid square, with a flush foot that adjusts on a screw. The rails slide over 3/4" x 3/8" solid stock, and attach via screws that go into tapped holes in the solid stock. There are center leg sections and end/corner leg sections. I have all of these done and welded up... Just need the square stock...

IMG_2162.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2160.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

I guess the picture I took isn't good enough... the edges/corners are pretty sharp... no radius to speak of at all. Everything I've seen at the home depot has a radius, although it's certainly worth another look.

I actually spoke to an actual person at my local metal place (Metalstock), Grainer, and onlinemetals, and they all told me the same thing... they don't sell any 1" square tube (or any steel tube for that matter) without a radius, because... the guy at Grainger said... "that the square tube meets ASTM A554 which requires 1/8” maximum corner Radius", so I think the idea of store or office fixtures might be our best bet. Those things don't have to meet any structural requirements (I bet).

Last resort, you could run a weld bead down whatever edges are visible and create the sharp corner, it would be a bit tricky, but always a last resort effort. Having a mill sure would help here, though a grinder in a purpose build jig might work better...

Rich

Yeah... that's how I made the sharp corners on 2 edges of the Thor's hammers above, and it's hard to imagine doing it for 30' of tubing, at least 2 sides (if not all 4)!

Think in terms of a poor man's surface grinder, set in a jig you hand feed the material, the grinder is adjusted up and down with a screw and knob. For a one time only project it would be a pain, if you could use it for other projects, not so bad.
I think you might run into problems welding chrome plated tubing, and than having to have them rechromed. I don't know a lot about it, but I do know it's not just as easy as sending them off the the chrome refinished...

Ymmv

Rich

You might be able to modify a cheap or second hand planer/thicknesser by slowing the feed speed and removing the rotary planer cutter and replacing it with a belt sander.

The material you have there reminds me of the stuff you see in department store racks, maybe 2nd hard office furniture store may have something lying around, maybe goodwill.

Imnoto... I agree, and that's where we are directing out search now. Thank you!

Magicniner... I feel like I should have thought of that... adapting a machine to serve my purpose. Great idea, thanks!

Back