Sharp LMV 50 3HP Motor Bearing Question

bnelson1980

Registered
Registered
Hi there,

I’m a total newbie to machining. I picked up this mill that needed some parts and I have a question. I purchased a brand new 3HP motor from Sharp Industries and a bearing. Does the bearing get pressed fitted to the shaft of the motor or in the underside motor cover? The bearing seams as though it would need to be pressed in either location. Any help would be appreciated.

E1DB317E-D2FD-4C05-8F45-EEA9F954C046.jpeg

FA2295BE-4519-408D-8B2B-072F591713A4.jpeg

D7CD6334-D220-4ACD-A839-B39DA8EE4397.jpeg

What happened when you pulled it apart? Did the bearing come with the shaft or did it stay in the housing? I believe you press the bearing into the cover then press the shaft in after-
Mark

OK. Have you asked Sharp for advice? It seems like it actually could be done either way, but generally I would do the tighter fit first (probably the bearing to shaft) followed by the looser fit (even though I advocated the opposite earlier)
Mark

Last edited:
One of the techs called me back and said that he forwarded my question to another tech. He said he thinks it gets pressed into the motor cover. I went and cleaned the motor cover really good and the bearing actually slid right in. So, that answers my question, it gets pressed on the shaft of the motor. I wish I would have just cleaned the part in the first place.

Sounds like the bearing might actually need some loctite? Some type of retaining compound? If it goes in that easily I'd be concerned it might be prone to spinning in the housing...

Normally bearings are tight on the shaft because closer tolerance's can be achieved. Covers are usually cast and then bored. If the bearing is tight on the cover you may have a hell of a time getting the cover off

Back