• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Sharp Step Pulley should i get her?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Night Stalker

Swarf
Registered Member
New to the Site...
I have hovered over the forums and am learning alot...thank you all.
I was looking into purchase of this mill...
Not alot of info our there on these older ones..
The owner purchased this in 1987 new and used as a Lab Hobby mill all these years..
He took really good care of this mill..Looks like he loved it..!
He said it was the last one at the show room that was a step pulley...
So he grabbed it..
He claims they were made really well back then, castings, steel, #7 bearings etc...
He said at that time they were head and shoulders above the other brands
This is all original paint etc looks like he kept all his tools spotless
Milled small parts..nothing heavy
If i am blessed enough to have her i would hook her to a VFD...

Any insight into this vintage , history or good or bad stuff would be great...

1987 Sharp Step Pulley mill.jpg Mill2.jpg mill3.jpg

Last edited:

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
That mill looks to be in great shape . I sold 3 Bridgeports and a Lagun 2 years ago that were also in that shape . They were equipped with the feeds and Accurite 2 readouts . I sold them for 2300-3100 . The Lagun FTV-2 was variable speed and had the larger table so it went higher . If you are getting that below $2300 I'de be jumping on it . If not , I'm close enough to !

mmcmdl

Staff member
After hearing his price of $4500 , I think I would let this go to someone else . Nice mill for sure , but you could probably do better for that price .

dlane

Active User
Sharp sells good machines , one owner , non production machine, well cared for, dose it come with any tooling ?

Last edited:

Night Stalker

Swarf
Registered Member
Sharp sells good machines , one owner , non production machine, well cared for, dose it come with any tooling ?
Kurt angle lock vise
Set of Royal collets
SPS 1/8 to 5/8 drill chuck
All barely used..

One owner mill
Maintained in a dry, heated location
Lab type work used for precise turnouts, small quanitity output
So for all intent purpose the machine may not even be broke in...

When i am scouring the sales ads...i find refurbished ones, used ones that are 3rd owner that did not take have good preventative maintenance .
Tables that were crashed...you name it..Some have great tables etc ..but the mechanicals are well worn, others the opposite..
If i look at a new machine equivalent...Step pulley type
They are going for 9,000 and up depending on the name brand... plus delivery and some are taxed
A refurbished BP mill..surfaces scraped, painted,.. tightened up...and as far as the rest of the machine they replace what is necessary, comes with a oiler, not other amendments, no history on usage, so motor and bearings etc have high mileage on them..but the table and surfaces are good $9>

FOMOGO

Active User
Sharp had a good reputation, probably as good as/or better than Bridgeport. $4500 anymore is reasonable for something in that condition and so equipped. Do you know the HP rating? You might get it for 4K if you ask nice. Mike

Night Stalker

Swarf
Registered Member
Sharp had a good reputation, probably as good as/or better than Bridgeport. $4500 anymore is reasonable for something in that condition and so equipped. Do you know the HP rating? You might get it for 4K if you ask nice. Mike
Should be a 2Hp
He also has a right angle drive, that may be on the deal .....new from Travers over $2 gs
H attachment.jpg

mmcmdl

Staff member
I guess the answer you are looking for is here . Nice mill , no wear , you've done your homework on the available equipment nearby home , and he's throwing in additional tooling . If the price and mill makes sense to your needs , GO FOR IT ! And let us know if you get it please , ( it didn't happen unless we see pics ) LOL :)

dlane

Active User
I think they have chrome ways , run it thru it’s speeds , down feed , listen for abnormal noises .
I’ve herd nothing but good things about Sharp mills, lathes , still in business parts should be available.
Cash and space available ied get it ,the vice on it has a riser that looks goofy check the knee movement.
Will you be able to get three phase or run a vfd ?
By the way welcome to HM

Night Stalker

Swarf
Registered Member
Comes with a Rotary phase conv..
I am going the VFD way...
And thanks
KBC VM22 R-8....30" table 1 1/2hp , one shot lube system this is what i am using now...need to upgrade..
This mill was made back when they were making the good copy cat machines..
She is tight.... i am fussy so i even up graded the spindle bearings..
Will most likely sell her when i upgrade..

KBC VM22 MILL.jpg

Silverbullet

By the way it sounds I'd bet it's never been abused , if you test it and Ck backlash I'd bet it's still very tight and smooth operating. Sharp built a really good rep till cheaper China junk started taking there business. You know cheaper is always better. The great American way. And I like green mill I have the enco copy like it.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Any updates? Looks like fine machine.
Isn't that the time frame where they started to properly 'age' their castings in Taiwan?

Night Stalker

Swarf
Registered Member
Yes i did a 5 hr trip to check her out... Named "Chang"
His documents were in order..Purchase New in 1987 from the dealer
He used it as a Hobby mill making small parts for various individual

The auto feed was added at the dealer ..not sure of the brand buy was the best offered back then
Sony Dro
Hand pump auto lube
Kurt angle 6" lock vise
Set of Royal collets
SPS 1/8 to 5/8 drill auto chuck
Full set clamping kit
Cedarberg phase converter ......new on line for $500

I am also purchasing the Angle head attachment with horizontal shaft

Yes the castings are meanite metal (pictured)....from what i read..this is the premium casting and still used today
The machine is in ideal shape...It operates super quiet
The "Long Chang Machinery company is still in business today making all kinds of equipment..
They were one of the pioneers of the day from what i have read.
One of the improvements over the split bearing design on the BP leadscrews for backlash adjustments.......Long uses a double nut that fits over the screw and tightens with a supplied socket wrench that takes up the play

He is a really nice man...having his 70 birthday soon...
He told the story of how he went to buy a used mill and fell in love with this one...
He feels heart broken to part with "Mr Chang" as he said..
A local business is starting up a members club that the members can use all the state of the art machinery...he is really good at CAD and wants to move into the CNC machines
He and is wife are moving out of this house in the city,... closer to what they like to do...

So now i need to go get her...
I have to move her 20 feet across the room with 7 foot head room ...through two 28" wide door ways one has a raised cement stoop 6" high by 9" wide.
This drops off onto a tight black top driveway that has a steep slope away from the house.
Also a very tight area if i can even back a trailer up near this door way...i may have to load going up hill..
I will take pictures as i move forward...always up for a challenge,.. that is why who we are, what we love to do...

I fell really grateful for this opportunity...and honored to meet this gentleman..

ki 0319181450_resized.jpg t 0319181450a_resized.jpg 0319181451c_resized.jpg 0319181451b_resized.jpg 0319181451a_resized.jpg 0319181451_resized.jpg 0319181453_resized.jpg
0319181451e_resized.jpg
Screw Long.jpg LONG CHANG ADJUSTABLE NUT DESIGN

Attachments

Last edited:

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Very nice. Looks so clean. *DROOL*

dlane

Active User
That’s a nice mill, if you have experience moving this type of equipment is a good thing ,if not search for how to safely move mills, when I moved mine 200mi, I inverted the head , 3/4” plywood on table bring table up to head top with some pressure, lock everything that will , I used 4x4 blocks between base and bottom of knee wedged tight to protect knee screw and nut.
Nice score I think you got a good deal on a fine mill. Keep us posted.

Night Stalker

Swarf
Registered Member
That’s a nice mill, if you have experience moving this type of equipment is a good thing ,if not search for how to safely move mills, when I moved mine 200mi, I inverted the head , 3/4” plywood on table bring table up to head top with some pressure, lock everything that will , I used 4x4 blocks between base and bottom of knee wedged tight to protect knee screw and nut.
Nice score I think you got a good deal on a fine mill. Keep us posted.

Thanks!
I just happen to be employed at a Heavy equipment machinery dealership..for the past 39years...so i hope my skills that i learned over the years help me with this...
I am going to remove the Electric motor and the pulley head..so the vitals will be safe...
Table has to be removed to exit through the 29 1/2 " door way
As you suggested, i will block the knee up to save the screw//bushing

I am assembling a skid plate to put under the base of the mill with the front slightly turned up with a hole to install a clevis hook, the plate will provide a flat surface for the rollers to roll over to the end of the ramp
Then assemble a steel ramp for the approach to the door stoop.... then a platform on the outside to bring the mill onto..
Back my pickup close to the outside door way with a 9000lb cap winch located in the class 2 receiver.
So now that the mill is waiting at the bottom of the ramp...Then i will attach the winch cable to a Clevis at the end of the skid plate.
Pull the mill up the ramp onto the platform
At this point i have a 4450 cap electric pallet mover to pick up the platform with mill sitting on..
Back up.... then ..load onto a rented a Drop bed trailer that goes down flat on the pavement...

Surely to be a circus in the making...complete with clowns LOL

Last edited:

ACHiPo

Congratulations. That is truly a drool-worthy mill! As others have said, Sharp makes top-notch Taiwanese gear (and probably was even better back when that was made). It's obviously had an easy life. I just bought a little 8x36 Enco made in 1991 and continue to be impressed with the quality. I think you'll be really happy!

I also like your plan of attack on the move. Getting the motor and pulleys off significantly lowers the center of gravity, and pulling the table helps that much more.

Good luck!

Night Stalker

Swarf
Registered Member
Congratulations. That is truly a drool-worthy mill! As others have said, Sharp makes top-notch Taiwanese gear (and probably was even better back when that was made). It's obviously had an easy life. I just bought a little 8x36 Enco made in 1991 and continue to be impressed with the quality. I think you'll be really happy!

I also like your plan of attack on the move. Getting the motor and pulleys off significantly lowers the center of gravity, and pulling the table helps that much more.

Good luck!
Thanks..

I plan on having it for a while...It should be available at my Estate sale...Lol

Night Stalker

Swarf
Registered Member
I was making an attachment for my lathe tonight, using my KBS mill...
I was milling a deep slot...cranking the table ...back and forth, it was killing me...Can't wait for the auto feed...Yippeee

ACHiPo

Thanks..

I plan on having it for a while...It should be available at my Estate sale...Lol
Plan on taking up any high-risk activities? Bungie jumping, skydiving...?
:grin:

Night Stalker

Swarf
Registered Member
Wrangled up some friends ...and got Mr Chang to its new home...
The Story......
First i removed the light, Sony DRO, then the electric motor
I had made a stand to remove the quill head and fastened it to the table
Inserted a cutter holder into the quill and brought the table with the attached stand up over the cutter holder
Undid the four bolts and and cranked the table out away from the ram
Then i lifted the quill head off the stand.
Next we removed the table so we could travel the mill through the 29" door way.
Set the knee down onto a supporting block
We tipped the mill up with a pry bar enough to insert a 1" solid steel rod under the mill base just at the tipping point.
We held the mill at the tipping point and slid the steel shoe i had made 2/3rds of the way under the base or until the shoe contacted the steel rod.
The mill base was tipped forward onto the plate , then slid completely forward to contact the stop i welded onto the shoe.
Then i secured the rear of the shoe with a stop that was bolted in place to keep the mill from possibly sliding out the back.
Now we tipped the shoe and mill up and placed solid 1" rods under the shoe, this allowed the mill assembly to be rolled easily towards the door way.
Nearing the door way to exit the room we placed the 1" rods on angles so when rolling the mill it allowed us to turn "align" with the door way and metal ramps..The ramp was constructed to overcome a 7" cement door sill..
I had placed grease on the ramps so the metal shoe would slide easy, so no need to continue with the 1" rods.
An electric winch was placed into the tow hitch on the truck and the cable hook was secured to the mill shoe by a "D-ring" i had welded onto the front of the shoe.
My team of friends guided the mill as it slid effortlessly up the ramps then onto a stand that i constructed to match the same height of the door sill...then the cable was disconnected and i moved the electric pallet jack under the stand to pick up the entire assembly and carry it to the Drop deck trailer i had rented.
Everything went really well..! No one got hurt..the only casualties were two ratchet tie downs from the travel home, the pot holes in the road would swallow a smart car...

I have included some pictures of the move

Attachments

firestopper

Nice Machine, good work getter her located too.
Congratulations.

Paco

FOMOGO

Active User
Looks to be virtually new. Should give you many years of great service. Provided you survive, that is. ;) Mike

middle.road

Actively Learning...
A picture is worth a thousand words, well, I tell ya, you've run out of words with your posted picts.
I realize that it is an import but it looks to be very fine none the less...

Night Stalker

Swarf
Registered Member
Thanks Dan,

Should have Mr Chang finished this weekend...putting final touches on the setup..
Will include more pictures...stay tuned...

Night Stalker

Swarf
Registered Member
Finally Done ...
My Double Hernia Operation slowed my progress down a little....However
VFD GS2 works great...! You can dial this in to do most anything...More features than i will use..
I found a discarded Main disconnect box, disassembled it,. saved the copper for scrap and installed the GS2 main drive
I also installed a Mitutoyo quill kit
I included a picture of all of the items that i got with this mill....
Now to put this baby to work...WooHoo!

0623181818_resized.jpg 0623181819_resized.jpg 0623181819a_resized.jpg 0623181819b_resized.jpg 0623181821_resized.jpg 0623181827a_resized.jpg 0623181832_resized.jpg

ACHiPo

Quite the score. Great job and thanks for sharing!

[6]
[5] [7]