Sharp Step Pulley should i get her?

Night Stalker

Registered
Registered
New to the Site...
I have hovered over the forums and am learning alot...thank you all.
I was looking into purchase of this mill...
Not alot of info our there on these older ones..
The owner purchased this in 1987 new and used as a Lab Hobby mill all these years..
He took really good care of this mill..Looks like he loved it..!
He said it was the last one at the show room that was a step pulley...
So he grabbed it..
He claims they were made really well back then, castings, steel, #7 bearings etc...
He said at that time they were head and shoulders above the other brands
This is all original paint etc looks like he kept all his tools spotless
Milled small parts..nothing heavy
If i am blessed enough to have her i would hook her to a VFD...

Any insight into this vintage , history or good or bad stuff would be great...

1987 Sharp Step Pulley mill.jpgMill2.jpgmill3.jpg

Last edited:
That mill looks to be in great shape . I sold 3 Bridgeports and a Lagun 2 years ago that were also in that shape . They were equipped with the feeds and Accurite 2 readouts . I sold them for 2300-3100 . The Lagun FTV-2 was variable speed and had the larger table so it went higher . If you are getting that below $2300 I'de be jumping on it . If not , I'm close enough to !

After hearing his price of $4500 , I think I would let this go to someone else . Nice mill for sure , but you could probably do better for that price .

Sharp sells good machines , one owner , non production machine, well cared for, dose it come with any tooling ?

Last edited:
Sharp sells good machines , one owner , non production machine, well cared for, dose it come with any tooling ?
Kurt angle lock vise
Set of Royal collets
SPS 1/8 to 5/8 drill chuck
All barely used..

One owner mill
Maintained in a dry, heated location
Lab type work used for precise turnouts, small quanitity output
So for all intent purpose the machine may not even be broke in...

When i am scouring the sales ads...i find refurbished ones, used ones that are 3rd owner that did not take have good preventative maintenance .
Tables that were crashed...you name it..Some have great tables etc ..but the mechanicals are well worn, others the opposite..
If i look at a new machine equivalent...Step pulley type
They are going for 9,000 and up depending on the name brand... plus delivery and some are taxed
A refurbished BP mill..surfaces scraped, painted,.. tightened up...and as far as the rest of the machine they replace what is necessary, comes with a oiler, not other amendments, no history on usage, so motor and bearings etc have high mileage on them..but the table and surfaces are good $9>

Sharp had a good reputation, probably as good as/or better than Bridgeport. $4500 anymore is reasonable for something in that condition and so equipped. Do you know the HP rating? You might get it for 4K if you ask nice. Mike

Sharp had a good reputation, probably as good as/or better than Bridgeport. $4500 anymore is reasonable for something in that condition and so equipped. Do you know the HP rating? You might get it for 4K if you ask nice. Mike

Should be a 2Hp
He also has a right angle drive, that may be on the deal .....new from Travers over $2 gs
H attachment.jpg

I guess the answer you are looking for is here . Nice mill , no wear , you've done your homework on the available equipment nearby home , and he's throwing in additional tooling . If the price and mill makes sense to your needs , GO FOR IT ! And let us know if you get it please , ( it didn't happen unless we see pics ) LOL :)

I think they have chrome ways , run it thru it’s speeds , down feed , listen for abnormal noises .
I’ve herd nothing but good things about Sharp mills, lathes , still in business parts should be available.
Cash and space available ied get it ,the vice on it has a riser that looks goofy check the knee movement.
Will you be able to get three phase or run a vfd ?
By the way welcome to HM

Back