Sharp Step Pulley should i get her?

Comes with a Rotary phase conv..
I am going the VFD way...
And thanks

KBC VM22 R-8....30" table 1 1/2hp , one shot lube system this is what i am using now...need to upgrade..
This mill was made back when they were making the good copy cat machines..
She is tight.... i am fussy so i even up graded the spindle bearings..
Will most likely sell her when i upgrade..

KBC VM22 MILL.jpg

By the way it sounds I'd bet it's never been abused , if you test it and Ck backlash I'd bet it's still very tight and smooth operating. Sharp built a really good rep till cheaper China junk started taking there business. You know cheaper is always better. The great American way. And I like green mill I have the enco copy like it.

Any updates? Looks like fine machine.
Isn't that the time frame where they started to properly 'age' their castings in Taiwan?

Yes i did a 5 hr trip to check her out... Named "Chang"
His documents were in order..Purchase New in 1987 from the dealer
He used it as a Hobby mill making small parts for various individual

The auto feed was added at the dealer ..not sure of the brand buy was the best offered back then
Sony Dro
Hand pump auto lube
Kurt angle 6" lock vise
Set of Royal collets
SPS 1/8 to 5/8 drill auto chuck
Full set clamping kit
Cedarberg phase converter ......new on line for $500

I am also purchasing the Angle head attachment with horizontal shaft

Yes the castings are meanite metal (pictured)....from what i read..this is the premium casting and still used today
The machine is in ideal shape...It operates super quiet
The "Long Chang Machinery company is still in business today making all kinds of equipment..
They were one of the pioneers of the day from what i have read.
One of the improvements over the split bearing design on the BP leadscrews for backlash adjustments.......Long uses a double nut that fits over the screw and tightens with a supplied socket wrench that takes up the play

He is a really nice man...having his 70 birthday soon...
He told the story of how he went to buy a used mill and fell in love with this one...
He feels heart broken to part with "Mr Chang" as he said..
A local business is starting up a members club that the members can use all the state of the art machinery...he is really good at CAD and wants to move into the CNC machines
He and is wife are moving out of this house in the city,... closer to what they like to do...

So now i need to go get her...
I have to move her 20 feet across the room with 7 foot head room ...through two 28" wide door ways one has a raised cement stoop 6" high by 9" wide.
This drops off onto a tight black top driveway that has a steep slope away from the house.
Also a very tight area if i can even back a trailer up near this door way...i may have to load going up hill..
I will take pictures as i move forward...always up for a challenge,.. that is why who we are, what we love to do...

I fell really grateful for this opportunity...and honored to meet this gentleman..

ki0319181450_resized.jpgt0319181450a_resized.jpg0319181451c_resized.jpg0319181451b_resized.jpg0319181451a_resized.jpg0319181451_resized.jpg0319181453_resized.jpg
0319181451e_resized.jpg
Screw Long.jpg LONG CHANG ADJUSTABLE NUT DESIGN

0319181453_resized.jpg

Last edited:
That’s a nice mill, if you have experience moving this type of equipment is a good thing ,if not search for how to safely move mills, when I moved mine 200mi, I inverted the head , 3/4” plywood on table bring table up to head top with some pressure, lock everything that will , I used 4x4 blocks between base and bottom of knee wedged tight to protect knee screw and nut.
Nice score I think you got a good deal on a fine mill. Keep us posted.

That’s a nice mill, if you have experience moving this type of equipment is a good thing ,if not search for how to safely move mills, when I moved mine 200mi, I inverted the head , 3/4” plywood on table bring table up to head top with some pressure, lock everything that will , I used 4x4 blocks between base and bottom of knee wedged tight to protect knee screw and nut.
Nice score I think you got a good deal on a fine mill. Keep us posted.

Thanks!
I just happen to be employed at a Heavy equipment machinery dealership..for the past 39years...so i hope my skills that i learned over the years help me with this...
I am going to remove the Electric motor and the pulley head..so the vitals will be safe...
Table has to be removed to exit through the 29 1/2 " door way
As you suggested, i will block the knee up to save the screw//bushing

I am assembling a skid plate to put under the base of the mill with the front slightly turned up with a hole to install a clevis hook, the plate will provide a flat surface for the rollers to roll over to the end of the ramp
Then assemble a steel ramp for the approach to the door stoop.... then a platform on the outside to bring the mill onto..
Back my pickup close to the outside door way with a 9000lb cap winch located in the class 2 receiver.
So now that the mill is waiting at the bottom of the ramp...Then i will attach the winch cable to a Clevis at the end of the skid plate.
Pull the mill up the ramp onto the platform
At this point i have a 4450 cap electric pallet mover to pick up the platform with mill sitting on..
Back up.... then ..load onto a rented a Drop bed trailer that goes down flat on the pavement...

Surely to be a circus in the making...complete with clowns LOL

Last edited:
Congratulations. That is truly a drool-worthy mill! As others have said, Sharp makes top-notch Taiwanese gear (and probably was even better back when that was made). It's obviously had an easy life. I just bought a little 8x36 Enco made in 1991 and continue to be impressed with the quality. I think you'll be really happy!

I also like your plan of attack on the move. Getting the motor and pulleys off significantly lowers the center of gravity, and pulling the table helps that much more.

Good luck!

Congratulations. That is truly a drool-worthy mill! As others have said, Sharp makes top-notch Taiwanese gear (and probably was even better back when that was made). It's obviously had an easy life. I just bought a little 8x36 Enco made in 1991 and continue to be impressed with the quality. I think you'll be really happy!

I also like your plan of attack on the move. Getting the motor and pulleys off significantly lowers the center of gravity, and pulling the table helps that much more.

Good luck!
Thanks..

I plan on having it for a while...It should be available at my Estate sale...Lol

I was making an attachment for my lathe tonight, using my KBS mill...
I was milling a deep slot...cranking the table ...back and forth, it was killing me...Can't wait for the auto feed...Yippeee

Back