[How do I?] Sharpen carbide lathe tools

Keep an eye open for a Baldor double tilt table grinder, that way you and keep the angles constant. I see them at auctions going for a hundred bucks or less. I would put on a green wheel on one side and a 250 to 500 grit diamond wheel on the other. I also like the Glendo Accufinish lapping machines. Many make them using tread mill motors and use Diamond engraving wheels you can buy on Ebay for $50.00.
Google Glendo Accu-Finish alternatives

If they just need a little bit of a sharpen I find diamond tool sharpening plastic "stones" quite good.

All good suggestions. If I was in a jam and I really needed to buy something at Home Depot, I would get one of those Dremel green disk wheels. They grind carbide just fine, but bang for the buck is pretty poor. This old guy in my neighborhood tried to sell me one of those specialized carbide grinders for $50. It was large, heavy, and had too many knobs and handwheels. Also, would have taken too much space in the garage. I'd have had to rent a trailer, but I suspect that it was the better tool for the job.

All good suggestions. If I was in a jam and I really needed to buy something at Home Depot, I would get one of those Dremel green disk wheels. They grind carbide just fine, but bang for the buck is pretty poor. This old guy in my neighborhood tried to sell me one of those specialized carbide grinders for $50. It was large, heavy, and had too many knobs and handwheels. Also, would have taken too much space in the garage. I'd have had to rent a trailer, but I suspect that it was the better tool for the job.
Wow, $50! My car would have to sleep outside!

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Back