Sharpening a Greenlee Pull punch?

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I picked up a Greenlee pull Punch at the flee market this weekend. It is soaking in some vinegar to loosen up the rust. I don’t have a surface grinder, to flatten the the female dye edges and the pull dye could use some sharpening on the edges they are real dull as well. I tried a file but I can forget about that these things are HARD. I do have a variable speed 2” belt grinder that has a glass platen. That is not as good as a surface grinder. Any ideas is greatly appreciated.
Thank for looking.
CH

If you have a tool post grinder for your lathe, or set up a Dremel type rotory tool, or die grinder, you could do it on your lathe. That or make a fixture for your belt sander to control in-feed for an even finish, or add another paper weight to the collection. Mike

The shop I used to work in used lots of them to punch holes in stainless steel industrial electrical control cabinets. We sent them by the dozens to a local tool grinder. In those days we used Thompson Grinders out of Ixonia Wisconsin. They're still in business, but I haven't had to send anything to them for several years.

I picked up a Greenlee pull Punch at the flee market this weekend. It is soaking in some vinegar to loosen up the rust. I don’t have a surface grinder, to flatten the the female dye edges and the pull dye could use some sharpening on the edges they are real dull as well. I tried a file but I can forget about that these things are HARD. I do have a variable speed 2” belt grinder that has a glass platen. That is not as good as a surface grinder. Any ideas is greatly appreciated.
Thank for looking.
CH
don't keep them in vinegar too long. they will get rough and pitted, and have hydrogen embrittlement. I stopped using vinegar and started using evapo rust because I left something too long.

My Greenlee punches all have a vee shaped face and I would touch them up with a Dremel with a cylindrical stone. If too much material is removed from the cylindrical surfaces, the clearance will be too great and the punch won't punch cleanly and leave more of a burr so don't overdo the cleaning.

don't keep them in vinegar too long. they will get rough and pitted, and have hydrogen embrittlement. I stopped using vinegar and started using evapo rust because I left something too long.
I soaked it for about 2 hr then wire brushed. It
I forgot about my Tool post grinder I don’t use it very often thanks for the reminder. Should I spin it in the lathe or use the cross slide, and go across grain?
CH

Yeah! it worked great popped a 1 5/8” clean hole in a 3.5 mm stainless kettle.
Thank every one. i have a Pumpkin ale for ya. Be brewing tonight!
CH

Yeah! it worked great popped a 1 5/8” clean hole in a 3.5 mm stainless kettle.
Thank every one. i have a Pumpkin ale for ya. Be brewing tonight!
CH
great, but I'm a Guinness guy. I thought I liked pumpkin ale the first time I tried it, but after buying a 6 pack, and being grossed out, I wondered what the heck.

Back