Shars 12" Precision Level

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I bet this will detect a twist a bit more accurately than my construction level.
Got it today.
Can't wait to try it out. Wow are these things sensitive!!

303-9503main.jpg

Yup. I got my lathe dialed in with a construction level, only to find the machinist level pegged to one side. Make sure to wipe the surfaces down, it really takes nothing to throw them off. Don't want to be pulling your hair out over a bit of hair on the ways. :)

I think the biggest challenge is to find a spot with confidence.

There was a good thread on this site not long ago about using a precision level to level a lathe. Lots of good info. If you plan on turning your level end for end while leveling your lathe you will have to make sure it is properly calibrated. If you don't turn it end for end it's not too critical because you are more interested in removing the twist from the bed than actually leveling it... When I remove the twist from my lathe I do not turn the level end for end and make sure it is in the exact same spots when moving it from one end of the ways to the other.

Search for that thread it should be easy to find and reading it will be time well spent.

Ted

Get another one and put one at the HS and the other on the TS. I guess if you had the dough that might be a good idea.

I did see a video on adjusting the level.
A fan in the room, temperature, a bit of dust or a hair can throw off the readings.
I had to make a quarter turn adjustment to balance the bubble from side to side.
I had my ways pretty even last night, I’ll check it again this morning.
I am expecting movement as the night cooled down and the cast iron and the level stabilized.
I’m now embarrassed I used a construction level. Yep it was level, only to have this one peg to one side.

I was able to dial in the footings at both ends of the bed. Sat the level on the ways after running a 12" flat file lightly across to assume flatness, no burs etc.
Let it set last night. This morning the level or cast iron settled just a few )3) points. If the level is accurate to .0005" over a 10" spread, would that be a .0015 distance? approx?

Don't drive yourself nuts while doing this. Tweak it. Check it again after a day if you want to or more importantly, after you use it some. Vibration will have its' effect. It will most likely move a little unless you have it anchored extremely well with an ideal setup on an ideal surface, in an ideal environment.

The proof in the pudding is how well it turns on a test piece without using the tail stock since the tail stock will influence any taper that may or may not exist.

These levels are more sensitive than they need to be for leveling (removing the twist) from a lathe. I suggest you level it, put the level away, and keep your sanity! :) You will end up tweaking things anyways if your lathe ends up turning a taper after you get done leveling it.

Ted

Thanks Ted,
I intend to turn a piece between two centers as soon as I get a chance.
My goal was to level, align tailstock (already shimmed) and turn a piece.

Back