Shars 5" ER40 Zero Set Fine Adjustment Collet Chuck

mksj

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Wish this was around previously so I wouldn't have had to make my own set-true ER40. This is the first I have seen of a Set True or Set Fine adjustment style ER40 chuck from a manufacturer, and at a reasonable price. Should be easily to use different style back plates. Also see they now offer ER bearing nuts, although do not know the quality. FYI.
http://www.shars.com/5-er40-zero-set-fine-adjustment-collet-chuck
http://www.shars.com/er-40-ball-bearing-collet-nut
202-1029diagram.jpg
Works best on light cutting operation with easy to cut material such as aluminum or alloy steel
4 Fine adjustment screws on the side can be used to true up the chuck within 0.00005“ TIR repeatability
Collet chuck body is made from forged steel and precision machined
Compatible with standard ER40 collet which has a range of 1/8" to 1"
Max 6,000 rpm
Comes with 3 mounting bolts M8 x 70mm
Offer in plain back mounting with various threads size back plate or D series direct camlock mounting

Not sure if alloy steel belongs in the same sentence with aluminum.

Thanks for the tip Mark. I need one of those. Need to look for a backplate now.

I saw those, but couldn't find any reviews for them. I'm interested in picking up an ER40 collet chuck for D1-4 in the future and found these interesting. If I can really adjust the runout that well, it might be worth the extra cost for these and some nicer collets.

Your D1-4 probably has a MT5 in the bore—lots of ER chucks will fit that directly, which should have less runout.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Your D1-4 probably has a MT5 in the bore—lots of ER chucks will fit that directly, which should have less runout.

It does. The only reason I've considered not going that route was to keep the through-bore accessible for longer stock.

With a set-tru chuck you can dial the TIR down to nil., the standard D1-4 ER40 chuck direct mounts (which I previously ordered and returned) often had issues of bad TIR and also axial skew. A few issues with the MT5 to ER40 adapter, it requires a 3/4" or 20mm drawbar which further compromises the through hole capacity and limits the usefulness of the chuck in this application. The better MT5 to ER40 adapter are expensive, the cheaper ones are about the same price as this Shars chuck and the adapter spec. for runout is 0.010-0.015mm (0.0004-0.0006") which is worse than the Shar's. Your machine spindle is unprotected from grit and swarf.

Offer in plain back mounting with various threads size back plate or D series direct camlock mounting.

Looks really good, Mark. I wonder if they mean that it is available already mounted to a D1 back plate.

Gotta love Shars. On their Ebay store the shipping for the chuck is $51. Through the website it is $31. Price of the chuck is the same.

That sucker would fit in a medium flat rate.....
Shar's shipping has gone wonky since November.
Ordered (4) AXA holders then and it took over a week for FedEX SuperSaver to get here. And they charged $12 for shipping.
I'm looking for (8) or so BXA's now and the shipping charges came in at over $42.
I sent them a message and just received this back:

Code:
In order to get combined shipping, all items must be added to your cart. 
You do have to commit to buy, however you do not need to pay. 
If you are not happy with the shipping, we can simply cancel the order

Regards

That's all fine and good but I doubt that is how eBay will see it...

Back