Shars and Grizzly, Grrr...

I've purchased BXA tool holders from Shars on multiple occasions, and they all work. I think Shars has bent over backwards to do you a solid and that Grizzly is probably selling something that is out of spec.

There are two important ramifications: You whined to the wrong people, and it's likely that no other vendors toolholders will fit your tool post, so this will be an ongoing problem for you.

I am in no way affiliated with Shars, but I have always received good product and good service from them. My experience with Grizzly is also pretty good, but I have had a few problems with them.

I suggest you order another toolholder from CDCO, amazon, or elsewhere to see if it fits. If it doesn't, you should replace your toolpost. Whether you can return it, or have to just buy another, you definitely want a toolpost that takes "standard" tool holders.

GsT

I am not sure that Shars is at fault. Maybe there should have been a disclosure. But imagine putting a disclosure about every possible make out there.

Seems like the problem is Grizzly. My shars, bostar, and some no name all work on my cdco bostar.

I have a Grizzly G4003G lathe with the factory supplied QCTP. I use multiple brand BXA tool holders and even some I bought at tag sales. They ALL fit perfectly. Maybe it's time to measure things up to find out who's at fault here. I do agree that it's pretty cheezy of Shars to make yo pay for return shipping after NOT mentioning a problem that they think they have with Grizzly.

I bought some CXA tool holders from Shars about two years ago. Most fit but two were very tight and would bind. They were tight both on the original Grizzly CXA and the Dorian I replaced it with. I would say they have some variation issues on occasion. The stoned the two and got them to work but it took some effort.

Although the situation with Shars leaves much to be desired, it's really Grizzly that started the problem by deviating from standards. I have a G0752 lathe (like a G0602) and an Aloris AXA-8 threading tool could not be set to center line. I had to machine the bottom of the AXA-8 by 0.050" to get to center line. Grizzly made the compound too high for standard AXA tool holders.

Bottom line, you have to measure your own machine critical dimensions and determine if stuff will work - or be prepared to machine your parts to fit.

I have a Grizzly AXA QCTP and have purchased a number of Shars tool holders, all of which work well. Actually, I find them superior to the Grizzly.

Unlike Grizzly, Shars actually provides detailed dimensioned drawings for their tool holders so it should be fairly simple to determine the suitability for your machine. Now, if the actual dimensions don't agree with those published, then there is cause for complaint.

I bought plenty of inexpensive tool holders, and the only one I've had a problem with was from Shars. One of the last batch i bought is really, really tight. The others are all fine, as were all the previous purchases.

I haven't broken out the gage pins and adj parallels to measure the dovetail, but it's definitely the holder. I have dozens from Precision Matthews, Aloris, Dorian, CDCO, Shars, Enco, MSC, and Machine Shop Discount Supply, and they all work fine on my PM import QCTP.

At one point i had a spreadsheet of dimensions for toolholders from various sources. I'll have to see if i can find it.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I've got a PM1440 lathe with the original tool post. (Chinese!) An assortment of PM, Shars, and no name holders. All fit but the travel of the handle to lock them varies some indicating slight differences in dimensions. They all work fine. BAX I do want to replace the original PM parting tool holder.

@Damn Yankee I know you are in the 'heat of the moment'... One of the guys in my city had similar problems as you had.

Before you send everything back. take a breath. Measure the tool holders against the drawing found on the Shars website.

BXA.PNG

I can confirm that the drawing there is accurate for the industry-compatible holders that fit Aloris and most offshore toolposts as well. Then measure your tool post dovetail and see if it conforms...

All this magic won't make your holders suddenly fit. But you will confirm who is out of spec. I'm not defending the cust service guy in how he handled you. But it really isn't the responsibility of the guys that are making industry compatible stuff to identify vendors that aren't compatible. - You have inferred by his statement that he had foreknowledge that all Grizzly lathes are out of spec for their BXA tool posts. That simply isn't true. I've seen several grizzly provided tool posts that were just fine. So he misspoke if he told you that flat out theirs won't work on a Grizzly.

You will need to be armed with these measurements to be sure that ANY holders you order will fit. If you can, buy in person, with your tool post right there. If your tool post is out of dimension, you are in for a bumpy ride.

I suggest you order another toolholder from CDCO, amazon, or elsewhere to see if it fits. If it doesn't, you should replace your toolpost. Whether you can return it, or have to just buy another, you definitely want a toolpost that takes "standard" tool holders.
Measuring the dovetails will tell the story faster. (not to mention skills development!)

Last edited:
Looking at the tool holders it is clear that in the long, machined flat side opposite the dovetail is a high land on either side - each about the width of the dovetail. It is obviously there on intentionally - but for what purpose I do not know.
I forgot to answer your question... I *think* you are describing a shallow depression indicated in red below:

bxa-1.PNG

If that is what you are asking about, all the tool holders I've made have it. My real Aloris tool holders have it. It is for manufacturing so the dovetail cutter has clearance, instead of rubbing on the non-cutting side.

Back