Shars and Grizzly, Grrr...

Whenever I have a problem with a vendor like this I call my credit card company- let them fight for your shipping charges
It is possible the toolpost is the bad guy though
I'll have a Michaelsoft binbow burger please- with an order of KFG

Last edited:
Dabbler has provided the information necessary to determine where the fault lies. As for Shars they sell different tool holders to fit brands of tool posts. Here's a link to some available through their eBay store (Discount Machine). Note the warning below the images.

Please see above pictures, our products are from two different manufactures. They have different type of numbers and logos, they can't be used by mismatch. Please massage us which type you need, if you don't massage us the B type will be shipped out.

I purchased a mill last year and began to buy tooling and accessories for it. From a third party, I had already purchased Shars' 12" Electronic Height Gauge for a Surface Plate, a set of angle plates, 123 blocks, Gauge Blocks, and some other things. I dropped some coin with vendors who I knew I could return - no hastle. I liked what I was buying so I figured I would begin to go to Shars before my trusted sources..

I very recently purchased a Grizzly G4003G. I am still in the cleanup stage before flushing and break-in, but it was time to start expanding the tooling needed to support the lathe. I got online and bought 4 Shars brand BXA tool holders. They sat for a short time then last night, I thought "I'd try them on". The tool post is a no-name QCTP from Grizzly. Well the holders look like they should fit, but do not. They will not slide down the post. Looking at the tool holders it is clear that in the long, machined flat side opposite the dovetail is a high land on either side - each about the width of the dovetail. It is obviously there on intentionally - but for what purpose I do not know. You can run your fingernail across it and feel the high spot.

I called Shars today. Nice young man answered. I told him my problem and he put me on hold a moment and came back and said "...oh our holders don't fit Grizzly". I said, "Well it would be nice if your catalog and website said that before I bought them". He said he was sorry and would give me an RMA so I could return them for my purchase price.

Well, I read the fine print where it said I was to pay shipping back and said 'hey, uh... you know it's not my fault you didn't put that disclaimer in your copy. Had you, I wouldn't have bought them. I don't think I should have to pay freight". He said, "One moment" and put me on hold (maybe to talk to The Guy?), came back and told me I would have to pay freight. I protested further, pointing out that for $17.60 they are acting petty and I would never do business with them again. He seemed to sympathize but he was not The Guy, so he presumably went back to The Guy who told him to tell I pay freight. I got my RMA and thanked the young man then asked that he kindly tell The Guy, John McGovern says "...to stick it up his *ss". So tomorrow, all the Shars junk gets boxed along with their 5/8" color catalog (yes, I will pay extra freight to send that POS back too).

Two things:
1) I ask, who in the World would lose a potential good customer (a newbie, a dumb *ss, an ignorant shopper for a lousy $17.60, especially when his add was misleading at most and not forthcoming at the least? I've read with no proof it is a Chinese company propped-up as an American institution. I have no problem with Chinese - hell, I just bought a mill and a lathe and x2 that amount on extras. The principal for Shars per Dunn and Bradstreet is Xinsheng Xia. My guess he is one of the Good 'Ol Boys down the hill from me. Maybe we'll have a beer some day.
2) And I'm not saying don't buy Shars, but for all those folks who have been through this now you know why your new prize did not fit and for those considering Shars tool holders for their Grizzly lathes NO!

John
So I have a question, surprise surprise, I have a PM supplied BXA QCTP, it expands against the dove tail i.e. the actual dove tail shifts to get wider to lock it on and I have had no issues with tool holders; but, I have a friend who has an AXA QCTP he bought to go on a small lathe and he has had some issues. His QCTP has a (for lack of a better term) foot which extends out of the center of the post and pushes out on the center of the the holder to lock it, the dove tail does not expand into it, that piece sticks out further than the center of the post, any chance you are running into this situation?

I am in no way affiliated with Shars, but I have always received good product and good service from them. My experience with Grizzly is also pretty good, but I have had a few problems with them.
Me too.
I've spent a lot of money with Shars. I am very satisfied
The dozen or so CXA tool holders I've purchased from Shars fit my Aloris QCTP just fine
It must be a Grizzly thing. Although I would assume the 12' Grizzly lathe would use the AXA size??

In other words they don't use quality chicken components...
Too bad.
It might be quality for China, they have a different measuring stick than I do. the Pizza Hut is Shin zen was pretty good though... LOL. You know, the difference between Mexican food in the states and in Mexico is reasonably close; but the difference between Chinese food is huge as in not even close to the same but there were a number of items I wish I could get in the states....:)

Back