Shars and Grizzly, Grrr...

So I have a question, surprise surprise, I have a PM supplied BXA QCTP, it expands against the dove tail i.e. the actual dove tail shifts to get wider to lock it on and I have had no issues with tool holders; but, I have a friend who has an AXA QCTP he bought to go on a small lathe and he has had some issues. His QCTP has a (for lack of a better term) foot which extends out of the center of the post and pushes out on the center of the the holder to lock it, the dove tail does not expand into it, that piece sticks out further than the center of the post, any chance you are running into this situation?

Your tool post is the "wedge type".
Your friends is the "piston type".

In my experience the high-quality (more expensive) suppliers use the wedge-type.
That's why I have the piston type......

Brian

Your tool post is the "wedge type".
Your friends is the "piston type".

In my experience the high-quality (more expensive) suppliers use the wedge-type.
That's why I have the piston type......

Brian
I can see good and bad in both. On my friends "Piston type" the piston never fully retracted, might have been the way it was designed, so he had to be picky with the tool holders he bought... I am not certain which type the Grizzly has.

I think originally Aloris were piston type- now it seems all the high-priced spreads have migrated to the wedge

It might be quality for China, they have a different measuring stick than I do. the Pizza Hut is Shin zen was pretty good though... LOL. You know, the difference between Mexican food in the states and in Mexico is reasonably close; but the difference between Chinese food is huge as in not even close to the same but there were a number of items I wish I could get in the states....:)

In Corvallis, Oregon there is a Chinese place called "The Show" that would probably satisfy you. I have not found a replacement since moving to AZ nearly four years ago.

Back on topic - I use an Dorian toolpost, presumable it's 'on spec'. The tool holders I've ordered from Shars have fit well (as have every other import brand I've tried). It's just never been a problem.

If Grizzly is different, or on the edge of the 'standard' spec, that's their duty to inform you, not Shars. Particularly since there're mixed reviews - i.e. some stuff might fit the Grizzly. Grizzly, not Shars, should be the ones to carry a disclaimer or warning. Near as I can tell, Shars is producing holders that meet industry standards. Measure 'em up and tell me if I'm wrong (that happened once before, in '87... ;- ) ).

GsT

If Chinese AXA were a standard, it would be called out, like DIN-EN/ISO AXA Type 1. There is no standard, just a bunch of factories behind the bamboo curtain producing parts that usually work okay together. No standard means no deficiencies... and no guarantees. It's a free market, but if I expect something to comply with a standard, I want to see the certificate first.

Then again, I don't need to tell anyone here what the price difference is between Kung Pao and Aloris.

Back