Shars Digital Aluminum Scales

jeffkash

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Can they be cut to length and still work properly?

Technically, even glass rules can be cut to size--if you have the right stuff to do it properly.......
But the only rules that are common for lesserlings (like us !) are the magnetic ones (typically from DRO PROs).

Videos online make this look easy enough. Remove the glass, cut the aluminum, notch and break the glass where needed, then clean and reassemble.

I think the biggest thing here is to get it very clean and to make sure you don't have any aluminum or glass particles on your cloth when cleaning everything and risk scratching the markings on the glass.

Ah, shoot. Read too quickly, didn't look them up - Sorry. Those are capacitive scales (like on digital calipers). Should be fine to cut them without concern.

I've cut down a few aluminum capacitive scales, no problem. The stainless steel versions are reportedly more difficult to cut because the SS work-hardens pretty quickly. In that situation a rotary tool with an abrasive cutoff wheel will do the job.

When cutting, grip the waste part in your vise. You don't want to damage the rule structure on the scale.

BTW, given my experience with the aluminum scales, I can't recommend them. Due to contact problems between the scale and an internal sliding contact inside the sensor body, they seem to be more sensitive to noise. If you are installing them on a machine that has a variable-speed motor and PWM style controller, you could be in for a lot of grief. The stainless rules cost a bit more but (so far) my stainless-steel rules are much better behaved w/regard to noise.

The best solution, if you can afford it, would be to go with magnetic or optical scales. As an amateur machinist I found it hard to justify the cost, but, given all the problems I had to resolve, I would have been ahead of the game had I just bit the bullet and purchased the good stuff -- no futzing with the DROs, just using them to make things. Buy once, cry once really is true.

Thanks for all the input. I'll install them and see what happens re noise.

Little known fact, you can make them longer if needed. Mill a piece the same outside dimensions as the scale, set them in a vise end to end, mill a slot about 1/3rd depth and about 1 to 1-1/2" on both sides, then epoxy in a splint. If you do both sides you can gain almost 4" of reader travel. Done it many times.

Neat idea! I'll file that away (there may be a pun there)

Back