Shars Live Center

Iron-Iceberg

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
In general I have been happy with Shars products although I have never used that particular product. If it doesn't live up to expectations they will make it right.

I consider them at the upper end of the import spectrum.

Do you really need all the interchangeable points? For my 9" lathe, all that I use is a CNC style extended point center.

Me personally , purchase a good set of Royals or Skodas . I'm not a big fan of Shars for much of anything , but I depend on tools for a living . Depending on what weight you plan on putting between centers sends me away from such cheap tooling . The answer is always , " buy what you need " .

I had a Skoda #4 MT set at my shop that I sold; I really hated to leave it there!

I had a Skoda #4 MT set at my shop that I sold; I really hated to leave it there!

I have a MT5 Skoda set on the bay right now . Little big for me lately ! :grin:

I have a similar interchangeable set from China off eBay, paid around $90 for it. It was an impulse buy. Honestly, it sets still unopened in my lathe tool box. I use a dedicated bull nose center, cnc center and a Chinese keyless chuck. Maybe someday I'll find a use for it.

As mentioned above, maybe stick with one-use centers as a lot of the interchangeable stuff is a jack of all trades but master of none.

There are many listings of them on eBay, so they can't be all bad.

Bruce

I think you would do just fine with that set, if you do not want to accumulate a bunch of other centers. One important factor is the diameter of the center so it does not interfere with your tool post, this set has a 1.85" diameter which is fairly compact. It does not have an extended point which is handy for small diameter work.

I have the Skoda 3MT set and I do use it occasionally, but I mostly use a CNC extended point most of the time. These interchangeable sets are handy for odd stock, but see no reason not to use it as your only live center. Shar's has several levels of quality, the higher end equipment is well made and good enough for the hobbyist, but not suitable for heavy use. I would buy a set like this over a bunch of cheaper dedicated ones, the cost is in the center itself not the tips. I have one of their less expensive centers and it is disappointing because very gritty and the tip is wearing, but works.

I found another post on here about the same center without the changeable tips. The smaller diameter seemed to be a plus. No one seams to have experience with this center I think I will order one up and if it feels gritty or does not turn smooth I’ll just return it.
I’ll let everyone know my experience. Thanks

I have that set from Shars, I've only used it a couple of times and so far it has worked well.

Back