Shars magnetic base dial indicator repair ???

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Well I have a shars magnetic base dial indicator that has failed after minimal use. I figured it would fail at some point cause of the plastic back 20180628_194459.jpg20180628_192638.jpgjust didn't think it would be this soon. its just a cheap plastic back that has a knurled brass screw pressed into the plastic. is there any reason I cant make a back piece out of aluminum and secure the brass screw to that anyone else done anything similar or have a better suggestion ???

What failed exactly?
Was it stripped threads, cracked plastic, or ?
Maybe epoxy it back together?

Times like this are the reason I always have epoxy on hand. I keep a couple different types on hand just for different repairs and they have saved me more than once. The best repair lately was to repair the mutitool belt holder strap that I couldn't get in to re sew the loop. Use epoxy and the thing will last a long time and will only take a few minetes to repair. Good Luck !!

Same thing happened to me. I haven't done anything yet, except determined that the thread on the brass stud is M8x1mm.

Ken

I think I would go with aluminum. If you use epoxy, it will likely hold though. Even better would be if you have some fiberglass cloth. Lay the cloth over the wet epoxy, wet it out with a popsicle stick or similar, cut the excess off when the epoxy starts to cure.

If you can, cut a small hole in the fiberglass and put the stud under the glass. That should help hold it in place.

Guess I need to remember to pick it up by the magnet till I get the DRO installed.

Remember, these are worth maybe $15.00, right?

Back