• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Shars Price Increase

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

macardoso

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I case any of you are as avid fans of Shars tool company as I am, they have announced impending price increases due to the US/China tarriffs. The price increases have not yet taken effect, so now might be a good time to pick up that new tool you have been looking at. See their announcement below:

To Our Valued Customers:
As you are undoubtedly aware, the Trump administration has imposed a 25% tariff on certain products brought into the United States including steel and aluminum, and there are upcoming new rounds of tariffs being put in place later this year. Under these circumstances we have to increase our prices on certain product groups to anticipate the cost increase. We have tried to absorb the manufacturing cost increase as much as we could in the past but this year circumstances are more complicated and could take some time to reach a beneficial agreement.

Most of our price increases fall under indexable cutting tools, workholding, tool holding and some measuring tools. The current price increase will not affect Aventor, ZCC USA, Ultra-Dex, Edge Technology, Kurt, Haimer, Carvesmart, Mitutoyo, Starrett or USA made solid carbide end mills.

This price increase will be effective September 17th, 2018 and go through the remainder of 2018.

Ps: Per the forum rules, please keep this from becoming political :)

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
So they are increasing the retail prices before the supply price increases.
Sounds like an excuse for a money grab to me.

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
This may be a stupid question but what the heck.
When I go down to my local metal supply, is the steel I purchase made in China?
I have a great local source, I never questioned where it came from.

higgite

General Manger - Proofreading Dept.
savarin, I agree. Nice of them to raise prices "to anticipate the cost increase". Reckon if the time ever comes that tariffs are reduced, they will lower their prices "to anticipate the cost decrease"? Rhetorical question. I'm pretty sure we all know the answer already.

Tom

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
This may be a stupid question but what the heck.
When I go down to my local metal supply, is the steel I purchase made in China?
I have a great local source, I never questioned where it came from.
Yep or canada which is also affected by these tariffs. Very little made in America. Hopefully with the tariffs it will bring companies back!

ddickey

Hmm,
I don't remember a price drop when their corporate tax got slashed recently.

chip maker

Registered
Registered
Another thing that is funny with Shars is that some items on their web site charge shipping but if you go to E Bay the shipping is free. I'm sure it isn't everything because they don't seem to sell everything on E Bay that they have. I still use them as they have a lot of things with good prices but wait till all the price increases hit.

blaser.306

Active User
Registered
Non issue for those of us here in Canada, While there are tools I would like to buy from the aforementioned company, their shipping out of the us is absurd... $47.00 USD ( roughly $65.00 CAD ) for a single axa size qc tool holder! They can keep it.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Well, at least Shars is giving a warning of the price hike in advance so purchases can be made in advance of it at the current prices. Of course, that may be a sales ploy as well... ;)

RJSakowski

The questions that I have are, is the tariff based on the cost of the steel content in the product or on the total cost of the finished good? If the latter, how much steel must a product contain before it is considered a steel product?

An AXA tool holder, for example, may have $1 worth of steel but $20 worth of value added as machining.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
The questions that I have are, is the tariff based on the cost of the steel content in the product or on the total cost of the finished good? If the latter, how much steel must a product contain before it is considered a steel product?

An AXA tool holder, for example, may have $1 worth of steel but $20 worth of value added as machining.
While what you say is correct as far as material content of the tool, the tariff list specifically includes machine tools and tooling. I saw the whole list somewhere but I can't find it now. Includes both CNC and manual machines. Not sure what the tariff rates are.

To comment any further on this would require to getting into the politics of it, so I'm not going there. :)

projectnut

Registered
Registered
This is quite common. Rather than have to dig deeper in their own pockets to pay for price increases companies raise their prices in advance so the cash is in hand when it comes time for them to make the next purchase. Keep in mind they probably order $100,000.00 worth of parts at a time. Having to come up with another $25,000.00 out of pocket would seriously impact cash flow.

higgite

General Manger - Proofreading Dept.
This is quite common. Rather than have to dig deeper in their own pockets to pay for price increases companies raise their prices in advance so the cash is in hand when it comes time for them to make the next purchase. Keep in mind they probably order $100,000.00 worth of parts at a time. Having to come up with another $25,000.00 out of pocket would seriously impact cash flow.
And they figure it's better to impact my cash flow than their own. :chagrin:

Tom

macardoso

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)

I believe that Shars buys a portion of their finished goods directly from China, so the tariff affects the purchase price of the goods directly.

RJSakowski

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Actually you have to admit that it was a decent move to notify their customer base of the anticipated increases.
I haven't received any messages or seen any notifications from other suppliers...

In early July the cargo ships were racing to get loaded in China and underway before the tariffs took affect. So the September time frame makes perfect sense. This would coincide with the next shipment coming in and as noted by ProjectNut in post #13 above, the cost increase due to the tariffs will amount to a rather substantial amount of money.

It is not a 'money grab' by any stretch of the imagination, it is standard business practice.
If you had a business that sold a great deal of imported goods would you absorb the cost of the tariffs?
The cost of these tariffs are going to be borne by the end users, large and small, and ultimately the end consumer will absorb the final costs.
It is basic economics 101, costs are always passed on.

It is a global economy now, the time has come to adapt and change, even though change is difficult.

[6]
[5] [7]