Shars Price Increase

macardoso

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I case any of you are as avid fans of Shars tool company as I am, they have announced impending price increases due to the US/China tarriffs. The price increases have not yet taken effect, so now might be a good time to pick up that new tool you have been looking at. See their announcement below:

To Our Valued Customers:
As you are undoubtedly aware, the Trump administration has imposed a 25% tariff on certain products brought into the United States including steel and aluminum, and there are upcoming new rounds of tariffs being put in place later this year. Under these circumstances we have to increase our prices on certain product groups to anticipate the cost increase. We have tried to absorb the manufacturing cost increase as much as we could in the past but this year circumstances are more complicated and could take some time to reach a beneficial agreement.

Most of our price increases fall under indexable cutting tools, workholding, tool holding and some measuring tools. The current price increase will not affect Aventor, ZCC USA, Ultra-Dex, Edge Technology, Kurt, Haimer, Carvesmart, Mitutoyo, Starrett or USA made solid carbide end mills.

This price increase will be effective September 17th, 2018 and go through the remainder of 2018.

Ps: Per the forum rules, please keep this from becoming political :)

This may be a stupid question but what the heck.
When I go down to my local metal supply, is the steel I purchase made in China?
I have a great local source, I never questioned where it came from.

savarin, I agree. Nice of them to raise prices "to anticipate the cost increase". Reckon if the time ever comes that tariffs are reduced, they will lower their prices "to anticipate the cost decrease"? Rhetorical question. I'm pretty sure we all know the answer already.

Tom

This may be a stupid question but what the heck.
When I go down to my local metal supply, is the steel I purchase made in China?
I have a great local source, I never questioned where it came from.
Yep or canada which is also affected by these tariffs. Very little made in America. Hopefully with the tariffs it will bring companies back!

Another thing that is funny with Shars is that some items on their web site charge shipping but if you go to E Bay the shipping is free. I'm sure it isn't everything because they don't seem to sell everything on E Bay that they have. I still use them as they have a lot of things with good prices but wait till all the price increases hit.

Non issue for those of us here in Canada, While there are tools I would like to buy from the aforementioned company, their shipping out of the us is absurd... $47.00 USD ( roughly $65.00 CAD ) for a single axa size qc tool holder! They can keep it.

So they are increasing the retail prices before the supply price increases.
Sounds like an excuse for a money grab to me.
Well, at least Shars is giving a warning of the price hike in advance so purchases can be made in advance of it at the current prices. Of course, that may be a sales ploy as well... ;)

The questions that I have are, is the tariff based on the cost of the steel content in the product or on the total cost of the finished good? If the latter, how much steel must a product contain before it is considered a steel product?

An AXA tool holder, for example, may have $1 worth of steel but $20 worth of value added as machining.

Back