Shars table power feed for Jet mill drill

MarkM

Registered
Registered
Good day. Anyone have any experience with the Shars table power feed. On sale and debating if I should spend the money on it now. Know there value to a machine. Will have a power feed at some point but there are things ahead on the priority list. Jets price for there power feed is crazy!

I've had my Bridgeport going on 20 years and still don't have a power feed. It's one of those "nice to have" things but not anywhere near a necessity. Personally I would spend the money on tooling or a DRO before a power feed.

Ya I do agree! it s just those times like say single point flycutting cast and I d rather regrind my hss than eat up some carbide running so slow or when I get tired and get hard on my cutters with impatience at the end of my cuts. The sale plays a part. Definetly easier to find the sweet spot cranking too! Like you said a luxury and suface finish is sufficient. But Then again I'm getting old and feel the aches and pain. Seems to always get back to money and where to spend it.
Appreciate your input. I am back and forth.

I only use the power feed I installed on my Millrite for long cuts, fly cutting, and long table traverses for setups. It is by no means indispensable, just turn the cranks.

Mark, I have no experience with the Shars or Jet power feed but I do have an Align AL-500. When I looked at it vs the Jet for my RF-31, they looked identical. I suspect Jet just rebadges the Align unit and I wouldn't be surprised if Shars rebadges something similar. The Align is made in Taiwan and my unit has performed without any issues for the last 3 years or so.

As to whether you can do without it, that is another issue. For me, I chose to buy that power feed first instead of a DRO. It helps my tooling cut better and last longer; that was my thinking, anyway.

I believe they are the same product. The Align al 500d. I wonder if the price for the Jet unit is do to maybe a direct gear to shaft like Shars may offer Or maybe an alignment issue. The Align is proven.

I honestly couldn't say. Jet wanted double the price of my Align unit for what appeared to be the same product. I like Jet stuff but not enough to pay double for the privilege of displaying the name.

Back