Shars vs. Little Machine Shop chuck quality

Update, fellers.

Got the chuck and backplate today. Things looked good, aside from the Chinese showing off their lack of investment in deburring technology (which appears to be very commonplace). Had a little trouble flipping one jaw over and getting it to go into the chuck, but I filed the burrs down a bit and it's okay now.

Backplate ran pretty true on the spindle, but I faced it and just barely touched the boss OD just to make sure it was perfect. Turned the very outside to make it look prettier. Unfortunately, the boss was exactly the proper OD for about a .001 slip fit into the chuck before turning, so it's got about three to five thou of slop. Being a four-jaw, that's not a problem. Parallel runout is okay, and it can be adjusted a bit anyway. Thought it was odd they ship it at .001 smaller than the chuck recess (considering their instructions say "turn OD to .0001 to .0008 smaller than recess").

Anyway, all in all, I'm happy. Gotta drill the clearance holes for the cap screws, which I'll do when I return to school on Monday. Don't have any way to do it at the moment. Thanks for the advice and help, guys.

Update, fellers.

Got the chuck and backplate today. Things looked good, aside from the Chinese showing off their lack of investment in deburring technology (which appears to be very commonplace). Had a little trouble flipping one jaw over and getting it to go into the chuck, but I filed the burrs down a bit and it's okay now.

Backplate ran pretty true on the spindle, but I faced it and just barely touched the boss OD just to make sure it was perfect. Turned the very outside to make it look prettier. Unfortunately, the boss was exactly the proper OD for about a .001 slip fit into the chuck before turning, so it's got about three to five thou of slop. Being a four-jaw, that's not a problem. Parallel runout is okay, and it can be adjusted a bit anyway. Thought it was odd they ship it at .001 smaller than the chuck recess (considering their instructions say "turn OD to .0001 to .0008 smaller than recess").

Anyway, all in all, I'm happy. Gotta drill the clearance holes for the cap screws, which I'll do when I return to school on Monday. Don't have any way to do it at the moment. Thanks for the advice and help, guys.

Well, if worse comes to worse you can make your own backplate.

Back