Shed builds using home made band saw

OK, I get it now. That's the neatest elevation system I have ever seen!

Thanks, The whole saw was way overbuilt but works well. Have sawn a lot of lumber with it.
Used a 14 hp Isuzu diesel off a truck heater unit. The blade runs on v belts in 24 inch sheave wheels salvaged from pump jacks in the oil field, made a hydraulic cylinder to tension the blade, the area of the piston correlates so pressure equals blade tension.

Greg

Today I sawed the battens and installed them so it is getting more complete every day.

Also, I took a photo of a support post that the log leans against. The handy part is that it can be cranked up or down at will
or even pushed down with vertical force. There is a spring and ball bearing in the assembly that keeps the height where
it is set to as well as a hand wheel made from an old propane tank handle. P1020827.JPG
It was made in rack and pinion style and is very handy compared to the other ones on the saw. I need to make
another one of these when time permits.

P1020829.JPG
The battens are installed on all three sides using galvanized nails of the 7 penny size I believe. I had a hard time
finding enough decent wood without much knots and ended up ripping up a bunch of boards with the table saw.
Tomorrow I will finally get to working on the doors.

This morning I did a bit of cutting and welding and made two more sets of hinges. I had made a pair earlier but wanted double
doors on the shed. The building is all closed in now.

P1020831.JPG
I have some trim work to do on the doors yet and a hasp to keep the doors shut. I'm taking the rest of the day off
to can some tomatoes and enjoy the warm sunny day.

It's getting close to finished with the battens installed and now a coat of stain mixed with linseed oil
to give it a finished look. I installed the door hasp today so not much left to do except to install a
roof cap at the peak. Earlier I finished the doors and added the "Z" to keep the doors from drooping.

P1020834.JPG
It was looking a little plain so cut out a few maple leaf shapes out of some scraps for a bit of adornment.
Next will be to work on the inside a bit and install shelving to store "stuff" overhead. I still need to run
a power cable out the back so I can power the main building from the generator. I see I need to trim
the bottom of the skirt as it looks a little unfinished that way. That's on for tomorrow.

My major effort of the day was to load the generator(about 400 pounds I think) onto my little trailer
and haul it to the newly built shed. Once there I used an inclined plane to raise the unit up and into
the shed. That went easier than expected. Of course I had to try it out and it surges a little when
operating my table saw so I suppose the new carburetor needs a little bit of adjustment. I will look
into that part tomorrow. With a little refinement, it will be a useful thing to have. I may have to put
a little wood stove in the shed as it gets pretty cold in northern Minnesota so that is another project
to keep me busy. Thanks for following along.

Cathead

Working my way through some Black Locust logs a buddy dropped off. Heavy wood. This is the largest of the bunch. My 30 hp tractor wouldn't lift this 7 foot log on the forks, Dropped the forks and wrapped chain around it then lifted back on the arms to get it on the mill.
DSC_0243.JPG

28 inches at the butt, the 7 foot log above it produced 192 board feet of 1 inch lumber, and a lag bolt and a clothes line pulley, both totally grown over.

Greg

Good grief! Hope the hidden hardware didn't mess up you saw.

Working my way through some Black Locust logs a buddy dropped off. Heavy wood. This is the largest of the bunch. My 30 hp tractor wouldn't lift this 7 foot log on the forks, Dropped the forks and wrapped chain around it then lifted back on the arms to get it on the mill.
View attachment 342873

28 inches at the butt, the 7 foot log above it produced 192 board feet of 1 inch lumber, and a lag bolt and a clothes line pulley, both totally grown over.

Greg
Can you post a pict of the slab showing the grain, I'm curious what black locust looks like.
Thanks!

Back