Sheet metal pan assist

Navy Chief

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looking for some help from somebody who has a sheet metal brake capable of bending a chip pan for my new lathe. Looking to make something 26 3/4 x 26 3/4 and 1 1/2 inches deep. I am in the Hagerstown Maryland area and willing to drive to drop off materials and pick up the pan, or help with the work whichever works for you.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I would help you out, but my 48" brake I ordered months ago is still on back order.

Looking for some help from somebody who has a sheet metal brake capable of bending a chip pan for my new lathe. Looking to make something 26 3/4 x 26 3/4 and 1 1/2 inches deep. I am in the Hagerstown Maryland area and willing to drive to drop off materials and pick up the pan, or help with the work whichever works for you.

what kind of lathe is it going on?
I have a SB 9, mounted on an electronics bench...
I picked up a garage floor oil pan as a chip pan. perfect ? NO, but totally useful. I also use a cooking pan directly under the bed, so I can remove it.
the cooking pan collect 95% of the chips, the big pan catches the remaining 4%.
the remaining 1% is on the floor or outside the pan.

It is an older MSC 12x24 lathe that is on a custom bench, the 26 3/4 is the space I have available between the mounts that the lathe is sitting on. I have considered using an oil drip pan but none that I have found fit without being cut, which leaves an edge with no lip.

I have a 24” box/pan brake in northern Virginia and happy to help if that would work for you.

Don't rule out welding the lip-plates in place, as versus bending them. Most home-hobby shops have real limitations on sizes of sheets they can work, and thicknesses they can bend. A guy with a MIG welding rig has none of these restraints.

Find a local "welding school", and talk to an instructor. He might be able to point you in the right direction.

Even if it is done with Microsoft Paint, show up with a rough drawing of what you want. It wouldn't hurt to post it here too.

Last edited:
For something that size, you can make do with a section of I, or H beam, a piece of heavy angle 3/16x2" would do, some clamps and a dead blow hammer or similar. Either that, or any HVAC shop in your area. Mike

Don't rule out welding the lip-plates in place, as versus bending them. Most home-hobby shops have real limitations on sizes of sheets they can work, and thicknesses they can bend. A guy with a MIG welding rig has none of these restraints.

Find a local "welding school", and talk to an instructor. He might be able to point you in the right direction.

Even if it is done with Microsoft Paint, show up with a rough drawing of what you want. It wouldn't hurt to post it here too.
I have been considering welding it up, have the equipment to do it...

Back