Sheldon 13x36 TME

dlane

Active User
Registered
Picked up this lathe everything seemed to work
It was used to polish SS pipe by hand " no x slide or compound used"
It will need to be dismantled and cleaned real good
First ied like to get the polishing compound and scotchbrite fine dust off it best I can , underdrive also .
Anyone know a good way of doing this , I'm think a vacuum first , these are very fine particles?
Also any tips & tricks to dismantle the lathe
I've tried signing up to Yahoo! Sheldon groups with no luck on this iPad
IMG_0893.JPG IMG_0897.JPG
Wish they had a refurbish book for this lathe like the south bend book.
Any advice, info , tips much appreciated

I won't have it to the shop till Wednesday, having to rent a trailer to get it 200mi
and then I guess a tow truck to get it off trailer and into the garage shop.

Derrick,

Do what I do. Get you a couple of 2 x 8's a little longer than the foot print of the lathe is. Set the lathe on these, let the 2 x 8's stick out about 3" on the sides, then lag screw them to the lathe. This way, you have a skid where you skid it off the trailer with a come-a-long. Get it on the ground, place pieces of 1/2" pipe under the skid and roll it into you shop with a pry bar and you got it! No need to hire a tow truck to unload. Like any other piece of machinery, lathes are top heavy, so keep the center gravity low and don't let it tilt sideways and you'll be ok.

If you rent a trailer from U-Haul, get one with a drop down tail gate, too. They also have one for hauling motorcycles that sits low to the ground too that works for hauling machines, too. But it has a weight limit of about 1500 lbs. I've hauled 2200 lbs on it for a short distance without any problems.

Ken

I do a lot of polishing and have a couple of tips for cleaning; non-painted surfaces (ways, chuck, etc.) I use Scotch-Brite dipped in mineral spirits. For the painted surfaces try a good detergent and hot water first (Dawn dish soap works good for me - or Simple Green). Be sure to dry up any water and coat any metal surfaces with rust preventive (oil).

Ken I didn't see any holes in the base to lag thru, plus I know a guy with a tow truck up there , shouldn't be much . In this area everybody's moving out so trailers are in short supply I was lucky to get one

Groundhog there isn't rust ,just fine polishing compound / scotchbrite fibers caked on everywhere ied like to remove it without causing any harm /lapping it. The ride up to oroville should blow some off , the rest I guess mineral spirits and lots of rags , the whole machine needs to come apart to clean the abrasive dust out

Last edited:
Derrick,

I think as long as you are doing a complete teardown anyway I'd just take some compressed air and blow the whole machine down prior to taking into the shop.

Back