Sheldon 13x36 TME

Thanks Mike
Ken during daylight the traffic is as bad as i35 from Dallas to SA probably 10x worse :disturbed: haven't been out that way for a while but some friends out there say it's terrible

Congrats on your Sheldon! I just spent the 4th of July weekend getting a UM 56P ,You can move them very easily with 12 pieces of 1/2 inch pvc pipe and a LONG Johnson bar. It will be a great piece once your done with the cleaning.Congrats and good luck

It's probably already too late. But I think that I would add two more straps. unless there is already one from the lathe bed to the left side of the trailer, in which case it would be one more. The back-stay strap looks like it runs from around the main cabinet to the left rear corner of the trailer. I would add one like it except to the right rear corner.

Thanks Robert , The front and rear straps are centered in the trailer , there is a strap on both sides of the lathe bed to the trailer sides , this is a strong well made trailer.

OK. Good luck tonight!

It's in my shop in oroville :D, seems to really be a 12" swing cat# 1236 that's ok though.
I'll start a new thread when the refurbish begins, as I'm sure I'll have some questions
Thanks to all for the advice, thoughts , suggestions

Picked up this lathe everything seemed to work
It was used to polish SS pipe by hand " no x slide or compound used"
It will need to be dismantled and cleaned real good
First ied like to get the polishing compound and scotchbrite fine dust off it best I can , underdrive also .
Anyone know a good way of doing this , I'm think a vacuum first , these are very fine particles?
Also any tips & tricks to dismantle the lathe
I've tried signing up to Yahoo! Sheldon groups with no luck on this iPad
View attachment 237821 View attachment 237822
Wish they had a refurbish book for this lathe like the south bend book.
Any advice, info , tips much appreciated
I use shop vac. First then Rags with kerosene
Then lots of kerosene and dry rags And shop vac.

Great job! Now for the real work! My UM 56 P was covered in grease and dust that had settled in the oily mess, as a auto mechanic I used what I had on hand, several cans of PB Blaster and lots of shop rags, but kerosene will work, use a spray bottle to make life easier. That's a nice piece of equipment you brought home, if you search the net you find most requard the Sheldons as a step up from the Logans and Atlases, mite be just because they are a little heavier built, but in pulling mine apart it seems very well thought out.next up search for all the accessories,

Thanks John , are you from Texas ? ,on the way down I picked up a 20ton chi press and a 1t hoist that's still in the back of my truck (they were cheep) The collapsible engine hoist has been leeking oil For the last week ,guess they don't like laying down I did pick up a new cylinder for it though. I'll need to clean and situate those in the shop before the Sheldon comes apart.

Back