Sheldon Advice?

Bellwether

Active User
Registered
Hi, guys. I've got my eye on this 13x70 sheldon turret lathe near me on Craig's list. The thing I'm wondering is, is a turret lathe different than a normal lathe with a standard tailstock. Does the fact that it has a turret tailstock effect anything else? I ask because the tool post looks a little odd from the crappy pictures and I want to make sure the lathe I get is a good all purpose lathe and not some sort of specialized unit.

Thanks in advance.

image.jpg image.jpg

Just from the pictures, that lathe is the standard tool room, screw cutting lathe, with an add on turret. The turret unclamps and slides off. The standard tail stock is sitting on the end of the bed. It also has a collet closer, so life is good. I don't see the compound but it may be there somewhere. If it has the compound and is in good condition and the price is right, go for it.

Turret and collet closer would suggest this was a production machine. Not bad necessarily, but look closely for wear.

As Jim wrote, it looks like an engine lathe that has had a bed turret added. Lathes fitted out or sold as turret lathes usually have neither carriage nor tailstock.

But you do need to confirm that the compound is around somewhere.

That's a late model "stick shift" and it looks good cosmetically (and well-tooled except for the compound). Sheldons are nice machines. Do the normal check for wear near the headstock and even if worn, it may not necessarily be a deal breaker. Nice that it's near you -

Thanks so much, guys. This was the kind of expertise I was looking for. I sent an email off to him regarding the compound. We'll see happens.

Thanks again,
Tony

Hope to hear more about this nice looking machine if you acquire it !

Thanks again for all of the help. As is par for the course for me, the lathe was sold yesterday morning (DANG IT!), but he did say he has a Clausing 2525 mill that he,s considering letting go. I'll be keeping in touch with him about that even though I already have a mill that I like very much. I've always wanted one of those small Clausing mills. (fingers crossed)

Back